This is the best Creamed Potatoes recipe, and they are the perfect side dish. They are very creamy and tender. Paprika, freshly ground black pepper, and chopped dill make them very flavorful. Potatoes Romanoff are my second favorite potato side dish.
The recipe is simple and does not require special culinary skills, so everyone who wants to eat deliciously can handle it!
What Do I Need To Make Creamed Potatoes?
So let’s start with the ingredients we need to prepare this dish:
- Paprika and black pepper
Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes are my favorite potatoes for this dish, and you can use dairy or non-dairy milk. For best results, use fresh dill.
How To Make Creamed Potatoes?
- Place the peeled and cubed potatoes in a deep pot and cover with cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender but not overcooked.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over low heat in a medium-sized saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for one minute stirring constantly until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Gradually whisk in the milk. Simmering until thick, stirring constantly to dissolve any lumps.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Gently stir in the bechamel sauce. Sprinkle with paprika, freshly ground black pepper, and chopped herbs. Serve hot.
Can you make it ahead of time?
Yes, you can. They can be stored in the fridge for up to three days. You can reheat Creamed Potatoes in the microwave or oven just before serving. Sprinkle with paprika, fresh dill, or other chopped herbs.
Can You Freeze Creamed Potatoes?
Yes, you can. Creamy sauces tend to separate, but it will be ok once reheated. Make sure to stir them midway.
What To Serve With Creamed Potatoes
This recipe is perfect for serving as it goes with everything. It can be any chicken dish:
- Oven-baked Bbq Chicken Wings
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Taco Casserole
- Chicken And Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- Popeye’s Spicy Chicken Recipe
You can also serve them with Fish, seafood, and vegetables if you are vegetarian.
- Marinated Grilled Shrimp
- Cheesy Brussels Sprout Bake
- Sausage Stuffed Jalapenos
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Miso Salmon
- 6 medium potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk, or the milk of your choice
- smoked paprika
- minced fresh dill for garnish
- Boil the peeled and cubed potatoes until tender (10-15 minutes).
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, whisk in the flour, and mix thoroughly. Gradually pour in the milk as you continue to cook over low heat. Stir and cook until thick. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika
- Drain the potatoes and gently mix in the sauce. Serve with freshly chopped dill on top.
Answering Your Burning Questions:
What Is The Difference Between Creamed Potatoes And Mashed Potatoes?
Creamed potatoes are potato cubes that are mixed with Bechamel sauce, while mashed potatoes have to be completely mashed and there is no flour added to them, only milk and butter.
What To Add To Potatoes To Make Them Creamy?
The best option in my opinion is béchamel sauce, which is made with milk, butter, and flour.
But if you have no time to prepare it, you can add sour or heavy cream.
What Are The Best Potatoes For Creamed Potatoes?
You can use your favorite potatoes. I recommend Yukon Golds. Russets are also a good option.
Do You Peel Potatoes Before Boiling?
I recommend peeling them to make the dish more presentable, but you can certainly leave the skin on.
What To Do With Leftover Creamed Potatoes?
Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake in the oven. You can add cooked bacon or chicken and make them into a delicious casserole.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. I would love to hear from you and I truly appreciate your feedback! I will always do my best to respond to every comment ASAP. Thank you for following along! and happy cooking!