Best Creamed Potatoes are the perfect side dish. Soft potato cubes in a béchamel sauce – very creamy and very tender. Paprika freshly ground black pepper and herbs of your choice for garnish.
The recipe itself is quite simple and does not require special culinary skills, so everyone who wants to eat deliciously can handle it!
Most importantly, Creamed Potatoes are a great addition to almost any dish: poultry, pork, beef, fresh salads, fish, or seafood.
What Do I Need To Make Creamed Potatoes?
So let’s start with the ingredients we need to prepare this dish:
- Potatoes. I usually use Yukon Golds or Russets, but we do not make mashed potatoes, so you can choose any variety, more or less starchy, yellow or white.
- Milk. I use plant-based oat milk in this recipe. Substitute whole or pasteurized cow’s milk if needed.
- Butter. Good, high quality, creamy, with a high percentage of fat. If you’re using plant-based milk, go all the way and make the sauce with vegan butter. You shouldn’t take margarine, as it will spoil the taste and flavor of your dish.
- Flour. Here it is needed when making béchamel sauce. The amount of flour should be carefully measured as it will affect the thickness of your final sauce.
- Paprika and black pepper. This item is left to your discretion and taste preferences. I use smoked paprika and freshly ground black pepper just before serving. They give a great flavor and serve as a decoration for the dish.
- Dill. Yes, fresh, aromatic green dill. My personal favorite. Parsley, green garlic, or onion feathers can be used as a variation.
- Salt. Certainly kosher or seasalt. Iodized table salt has a more pronounced and stronger flavor, just take note of this.
How To Make Creamed Potatoes?
- Place the peeled and cubed potatoes in a deep pot and cover with cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender. Watch the time so that the potatoes are not overcooked, otherwise, the cubes will lose their shape.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter over low heat in a thick-walled saucepan. Add flour to it and stir quickly with a whisk. Continue to cook for one minute, stirring constantly, until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continuing to stir with a whisk, scraping well from the bottom, gradually pour in the milk in 3-4 approaches. Continue simmering until thickening, stirring constantly. You can adjust the thickness of the sauce yourself with the amount of added milk.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Pour the finished béchamel sauce and stir gently with a silicone spatula so that all the potato cubes are covered. Sprinkle with paprika, freshly ground black pepper, and chopped herbs. Serve hot.
Can you make it ahead of time?
Of course, this recipe is great to prepare in advance.
You can reheat Creamed Potatoes in the microwave or oven just before serving. Sprinkle with paprika, fresh dill, or other chopped herbs.
Can You Freeze Creamed Potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze these potatoes. Let it thaw overnight before use.
The milk may flake off a little, but the situation will quickly improve when heated.
Just stir the potatoes and sauce thoroughly halfway through reheating.
What To Serve With Creamed Potatoes
This recipe is perfect for serving as it goes with everything. It can be any chicken dishes:
- Oven-baked Bbq Chicken Wings
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Taco Casserole
- Chicken And Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- Popeye’s Spicy Chicken Recipe
Fish, seafood, and vegetables:
- Marinated Grilled Shrimp
- Cheesy Brussels Sprout Bake
- Sausage Stuffed Jalapenos
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Miso Salmon
- 6 medium potatoes (2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups oat milk
- smoked paprika
- minced fresh dill for serve
- Boil peeled and cubed potatoes until tender (10-15 minutes).
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add flour to it and mix thoroughly. As you continue to cook over low heat, gradually pour in the milk in several approaches. Stir and cook until thick.
- Drain the potatoes, add sauce to them, stir. Sprinkle with spices and herbs.
- Pour cold water over potatoes. If you pour boiling water, the potatoes will cook faster on the outside and the pieces will lose their appearance.
- When using cow's milk, observe its expiration date so that it does not curdle when heated.
Answering Your Burning Questions:
What Is The Difference Between Creamed Potatoes And Mashed Potatoes?
Creamed Potatoes are whole cubes of potatoes in a mild sauce made from milk, butter, and flour. And for Mashed ones, boiled potatoes must be mashed with a potato masher, while adding a little milk.
What To Add To Potatoes To Make Them Creamy?
The best option in my opinion is the béchamel sauce, which we make from milk, butter, and flour.
But if you have absolutely no time to prepare it, you can add sour cream or heavy cream.
What Are The Best Potatoes For Creamed Potatoes?
Feel free to choose the potato variety available, but if you have a choice,
I recommend Yukon Golds. Russets can also be a good replacement option.
Do You Peel Potatoes Before Boiling?
Yes, I first peel the potatoes, cut them into pieces, and boil them.
You can steam thoroughly washed potatoes in a slow cooker right in the skins, and then peel.
What To Do With Leftover Creamed Potatoes?
You can combine the leftover potatoes with any cooked meat, sausages or bacon. Or add some cooked vegetables there and get a delicious stew.
Sprinkle with a good portion of grated cheese and bake in the oven, so you’ll get a baked creamed potatoes recipe.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. I would love to hear from you and I truly appreciate your feedback! I will always do my best to respond to every comment ASAP. Thank you for following along! and happy cooking!