Love tacos but don’t want to eat too much fat? Use ground chicken instead of beef! This taco casserole without sour cream is a lighter version that you can enjoy guilt-free.
All the great flavor comes from chopped onions, garlic, and taco seasoning that cooks with the ground chicken to create a light and delicious base for your casserole.
A bed of tortilla chips topped with the ground chicken mixture with salsa and black beans, melted cheese, and all your favorite toppings makes for a great casserole that is both healthy and delicious.
Use baked tortilla chips if you want to make it even lighter, no one will notice the difference because the chicken has so much flavor! So go ahead and try this taco casserole with tortilla chips and ground chicken.
HOW TO MAKE TACO CASSEROLE WITH TORTILLA CHIPS?
- Using a large skillet, heat oil of choice, and saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Add the ground chicken and taco seasoning and cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Mix in the black beans and salsa and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Layer a casserole dish with tortilla chips.
- Top the tortilla chips with the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle the desired amount of cheese on top.
- Add sliced jalapenos and olives and bake for 20 mins or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
FREEZE TACO CASSEROLE;
I would recommend freezing the chicken mixture and then assembling and baking the casserole on the day you will be serving it. Tortilla chips can become a bit soggy and if you freeze them and thaw them, they will definitely lose their crunchy texture.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TACO CASSEROLE?
Choose a wide variety of toppings to make this a complete meal. Chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sliced olives, and jalapenos, avocado, or whatever other veggies you prefer and you don’t need anything else!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- 2 oz tortilla chips
- 1 tbsp chili oil or olive oil and red pepper flakes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup hot salsa
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or your favorite cheese
- 1 jalapeno, sliced, optional
- Sliced black olives, optional
- Using a large skillet, heat oil of choice and saute onion and garlic until translucent
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Add the ground chicken and taco seasoning and cook until chicken is cooked through
- Mix in the black beans and salsa and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated
- Layer a casserole dish with tortilla chips. Top the tortilla chips with the chicken mixture
- Sprinkle the desired amount of cheese on top. Add sliced jalapenos and olives and bake for 20 mins or until cheese is melted and bubbly