Do you love taco casseroles but not their calories? Use ground chicken instead of beef. This taco casserole without sour cream is a light version that you can enjoy guilt-free.
All the flavor in this casserole comes from chopped onions, garlic, and taco seasoning that cooks with the ground chicken to create a light and delicious base for your casserole.
Use baked tortilla chips if you want to make it even lighter, no one will notice the difference because the chicken has so much flavor! This taco casserole with tortilla chips and ground chicken will become one of your favorite meals!
HOW TO MAKE TACO CASSEROLE WITH TORTILLA CHIPS?
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Add the ground chicken and taco seasoning, and cook until the chicken is cooked through.
- Mix in the black beans and salsa and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Layer a casserole dish with tortilla chips.
- Top the tortilla chips with the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Add sliced jalapenos and olives, and bake for 20 mins or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
FREEZE TACO CASSEROLE;
I would recommend freezing the chicken mixture and then assembling and baking the casserole on the day you will be serving it. Tortilla chips can become a bit soggy and if you freeze and thaw them, they will definitely lose their crunchy texture.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TACO CASSEROLE?
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- 12 oz tortilla chips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 cup hot salsa
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or your favorite cheese
- 1 jalapeno, sliced, optional
- Sliced black olives, optional
- in a large skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until translucent
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Add the ground chicken and taco seasoning, and cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Mix in the black beans and salsa and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated
- Layer a casserole dish with tortilla chips. Top the tortilla chips with the chicken mixture
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top. Top with the sliced jalapenos and olives and bake for 20 mins more until the cheese is melted and bubbly