This is the best Brussels Sprouts Bake with cheese and bacon that I have ever made. Gruyere and Cheddar cheese make this dish extra special. It is the perfect side dish for any steak or chicken entree!
Cheesy Brussels Sprout Bake
Brussels sprouts are an acquired taste and to help them along, one must be creative, especially when you have little ones.
All the ingredients, from the subtle flavor of shallots and the smokiness of bacon to the pungency of Gruyere, are very well balanced to create a total winner!
HOW TO MAKE BRUSSELS SPROUT CASSEROLE?
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Using an oven-safe skillet, cook the bacon until brown. Remove and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Drain the at from the skillet.
- Return the skillet to the stove, melt the butter, and saute the minced shallots for about 2 mins.
- Add Brussels sprouts, cayenne pepper, and salt. Cook them for about 10 mins.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the heavy cream. Top with shredded cheeses and crumbled bacon and bake until the cheeses are melted and bubbly, for about 15 mins.
CAN YOU FREEZE BRUSSELS SPROUTS CASSEROLE?
You certainly can, but don’t freeze them for more than a couple of months. They do tend to lose their flavor and can become a bit mushy when thawed.
MAKING BRUSSELS SPROUTS AHEAD OF TIME
If you need to precook Brussels sprouts, the best way is to blanch them in boiling water for about 2 minutes. Transfer them to a bowl of ice water, pat dry, and keep them overnight in the fridge.
The whole dish can be cooked and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
VARIATIONS OF THIS RECIPE;
- If you are a vegetarian, you can definitely skip the bacon.
- Substitute bacon for chorizo
- Don’t like Gruyere? Double the amount of Cheddar
- Add sliced leeks instead of shallots
- Instead of making them creamy, you could add honey and Balsamic vinegar for a whole new flavor profile
More Recipes You’ll Love;
BRUSSELS SPROUT BAKE CASSEROLE
- 5 bacon strips
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 2 lb Brussels sprouts, halved
- Kosher salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Using an oven-safe skillet, cook the bacon until brown. Remove from the skillet and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Drain fat from the skillet.
- Return the skillet to the stove, melt the butter and saute the minced shallots for about 2 mins
- Add Brussels sprouts, cayenne pepper, and salt. Cook them for about 10 mins
- Remove the skillet from the flame and add the heavy cream. Top with the shredded cheeses and crumbled bacon and bake until the cheeses are melted and bubbly, for about 15 mins.