I love everything with lime! It is one of my favorite condiments. I think it makes all other flavors pop and I love the tangy zest it gives to my recipes. This one is a total winner. Fish also tastes amazing with lime, so please try my Lime and Herb Orange Roughy recipe!
Easy Cilantro Lime Chicken
Very easy to make, this delicious cilantro-lime chicken marinade made with chopped cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes infuses the chicken with a lot of flavor.
Adding the marinade to the skillet makes a great sauce to pour over the chicken thighs once they are done. No kidding, this is the best cilantro lime chicken recipe ever.
HOW TO MAKE CILANTRO LIME CHICKEN?
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix olive oil, lime juice, chopped cilantro, garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes
- Add the chicken thighs, mix them with the marinade, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 mins to 2 hours
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Using a cast iron or oven-safe skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and brown the chicken pieces, skin side down until brown and crispy, about 5-6 mins. Flip and cook on the other side for 2 more minutes. Add the remaining marinade to the skillet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
A FEW COOKING TIPS:
- The longer you marinate the chicken, the tastier it will be, but I wouldn’t recommend marinating for more than two hours. Lime juice “cooks” proteins, so give it two hours max.
- Before browning the chicken thighs, make sure the skillet is very hot, or they won’t brown. They will cook without developing any color.
- Add all the leftover marinade to the pan before putting it in the oven. If you add it when you first put the chicken pieces in, it will prevent them from browning and cook away leaving you with very little sauce.
STORING AND REHEATING LEFTOVERS
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat in the microwave for 2 minutes before serving.
To freeze, place in freezer bags, and store for up to 3 months. Thaw them overnight in the fridge and take them out 30 mins before serving. Reheat them in the microwave.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CILANTRO LIME CHICKEN?
Serve it over white rice, or Rice Pilaf and spoon some of the sauce on top. A side salad and veggie dishes like Candied Carrots, Green Beans Casserole, or Roasted Brussels Sprouts make it a complete and balanced meal.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- SWEET BABY RAY’S CROCKPOT CHICKEN
- SMOTHERED CHEESY SOUR CREAM CHICKEN
- 4 INGREDIENTS BROWN SUGAR GARLIC CHICKEN
Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Juice of 2 limes
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the lime juice, chopped cilantro, garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the chicken thighs, mix them with the marinade, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 mins to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Using a cast iron or oven-safe skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and brown the chicken pieces, skin side down, until the skin is brown and crispy, about 5-6 mins. Flip and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Add the remainig marinade to the skillet. Season with salt and white pepper, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.