Rice is the perfect side dish for almost any meat or vegetarian dish. Everybody loves rice, but once in a while, we need to upgrade even the best of side dishes.
I bring you, the Rice Pilaf. The best homemade rice pilaf recipe with orzo pasta that you can make in just a few minutes. The orzo is toasted until golden brown, giving this rice dish a different texture and flavor than regular rice. It really gives it a very unique nutty flavor. This easy onion rice pilaf with chicken broth is sure to be one of your family’s favorite dishes.
RICE PILAF INGREDIENTS:
- Butter– The fat of choice for me is butter, but if you want to make a vegan version, you can use olive, avocado, or coconut oil.
- Vegetables– I like to keep it simple and use only onions and garlic, but you can add your favorite veggies like bell peppers, mushrooms, cut up broccoli, peas, or carrots.
- Rice– I used white rice for this dish, but brown rice, jasmine, or basmati can also be used. Just be careful and read the cooking directions for the rice you’re using. Different rice varieties need different water/rice ratios.
- Liquid– Chicken stock is my go-to liquid almost always when I’m making rice pilaf, but for the vegan version you can use vegetable stock. Beef broth can also be used.
- Spices and seasonings– Any dried or fresh herb of your choice can add tons of flavor to the rice. Cilantro and Parsley are widely used. Thyme and bay leaf is another good combination. Don’t forget to add salt and pepper.
LIST OF INGREDIENTS:
2 tbsp butter
½ cup orzo pasta
½ cup diced onion
2 minced garlic cloves
½ cup uncooked white rice
2 cups of chicken broth
HOW TO MAKE RICE PILAF?
Follow the simple recipe below to make this delicious Rice Pilaf from scratch.
- Step 1. In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the orzo pasta. Cook until golden brown
- Step 2. Add the chopped onion and cook until transparent.
- Step 3. Mix in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Step 4. Stir in the rice.
- Step 5. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Step 6. Turn off the heat and let it stand, covered, for 5 more minutes. Use a fork to fluff your rice pilaf.
WHAT GOES WITH RICE PILAF?
As I said, rice pilaf is the perfect side dish for almost anything. I like to serve it with grilled or roasted chicken. Steaks go great with rice pilaf too. Meatloaf is another good pair to this versatile side dish. Don’t forget your veggies or salad.
CAN YOU FREEZE RICE PILAF?
I wouldn’t recommend freezing it. The texture of the rice and orzo is not the same when it thaws. This dish is best served when just made. The texture is amazing when freshly made.
- When toasting the orzo, don’t brown it too deeply because you still have to add the onions and garlic and cook them. The orzo will continue browning while you cook your veggies.
- If you want to make it vegan, use oil of your choice and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Start checking your rice at 20 mins because it may be cooked by that time. Be sure to simmer on low heat or it will burn on the bottom.
- After adding the broth, check your seasoning and add salt and pepper at this time.
BEST Homemade Rice Pilaf Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup orzo pasta
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the orzo pasta. Cook until golden brown
- Add the chopped onion and cook until transparent.
- Mix in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the rice.
- Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Turn off the heat and let it stand, covered, for 5 more minutes. Use a fork to fluff your rice pilaf.