Meatloaf is a favorite on our table because it is quick and easy to prepare, and the recipe can be easily changed depending on the availability of ingredients at hand. The shape of the log allows you to both serve it on a festive table or cut it into portioned pieces and pack it for all family members for a takeaway lunch.
Ground beef is very versatile – not as fatty as pork and more nutritious than chicken.
I think you will definitely have a couple of eggs, water, ketchup, and bread crumbs to cook classic and beefy meatloaf soon!
If you love ground beef, you can use it in other recipes like Stuffed Pasta Shells, Tex-Mex Meatballs, and Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole.
- Ground beef – I prefer using lean ground beef for a healthier meal.
- Eggs When baking, the egg white holds the meat mixture together and prevents it from falling apart, and the yolks add moisture.
- Water The breadcrumbs will absorb it making the meatloaf moist. it completely. You can also use milk
- Ketchup You can try replacing it with tomato paste or barbecue sauce.
- Breadcrumbs, they add volume to the meatloaf as well as help retain moisture.
- Spices Lipton onion soup mix, ground mustard, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Onion and garlic – they are also important for flavor and aroma.
How do you make original meatloaf from scratch?
- Prepare ingredients and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large (very large) bowl, combine water, ketchup, eggs, Lipton soup mix, spices, and salt, and whisk together. Chop the onion and garlic.
- Add ground beef, onion, garlic, and breadcrumbs to the mixture and stir.
- Line a baking dish with foil, add minced meat mixture, and shape it into a log. Place in preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Or until the outside is crispy. It is not necessary to cover the top with foil, there are many liquid ingredients in the mixture. If they cannot evaporate, then your meatloaf will be boiled but not baked.
- Cover the meatloaf with an extra layer of ketchup and sprinkle with onions on top if desired.
What to serve with meatloaf?
Oh, it’s as easy as shelling pears! Many different recipes will work here. The classic serving includes, of course, potatoes:
Also, let’s not forget about vegetables and salads:
- Healthier Waldorf Salad
- Homemade Creamy Caesar Salad Dressing
- The Best Tossed Salad
- Roasted Potatoes And Carrots
Well, we can’t get away from pasta in all its forms:
- Sweet Amish Macaroni Salad
- Amazing Olive Pasta Salad
- Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Portobello Penne Pasta Casserole
Can you freeze Meatloaf?
Meatloaf lends itself well to freezing and later use.
After baking, cool it down, fold it into a large sealed container with a lid, or carefully wrap it with foil in 2-3 layers and put it in a freezer.
Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before use.
To serve, preheat it in the oven or microwave, and cover it with ketchup and herbs.
- Cooking the meatloaf in a wide baking dish or on a baking sheet allows a crispy crust on all edges. Baking in a bread pan will keep the edges moist.
- Meatloaf slices can be reheated in a skillet-like cutlet on both sides.
- Leftovers can be used for sandwiches.
Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup ketchup, more for topping, if desired
- 1 1/2 cups plain, dry breadcrumbs
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon each mustard powder, garlic powder, and paprika
- salt to taste
- onion for topping, chopped
- Combine water, eggs, ketchup, Lipton Onion soup mix, spices, and salt in a deep bowl.
- Add ground beef, bread crumbs, chopped onion, and garlic and mix thoroughly.
- Place in a foil-lined baking dish and bake in an oven preheated to 350 F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Serve with ketchup and chopped onions on top.
Answering Your Burning Questions:
Can I make meatloaf ahead of time?
Yes of course! After baking, let the meatloaf cool completely, then wrap it in foil or cling film and refrigerate.
The shelf life in the refrigerator is about three days.
Preheat before serving in the oven or microwave, top with ketchup, sprinkle with fresh herbs, and serve hot.
What is the secret to the best beefy moist meatloaf?
Lean minced meat can play a cruel joke on us and we will get dry steep meatloaf.
So, the fat content should still be present in a ratio of 1:10 (where 1 is fat and 10 is meat).
For the moisture of the meatloaf, we add ketchup (you can substitute tomato paste for it) and water.
Breadcrumbs absorb all this into themselves and in the end, we get a juicy dish.
Feel free to experiment and add other juiciness ingredients to your liking. This can be mustard, Worcestershire sauce, or barbecue sauce.
- Prepare the meatloaf with Lipton onion soup mix using the entire pack of dry mix, replacing the pepper mix.
- Cover the meatloaf with barbecue sauce or salsa instead of ketchup.
- Replace the bread crumbs with torn white bread soaked in milk or cooked rice.
- Add finely chopped or grated vegetables (carrots, zucchini, mushrooms).
Do you bake meatloaf covered or uncovered?
There is already a lot of liquid in this whole meat mixture.
If you cover it with foil when baking, you run the risk of a boiled meatloaf rather than a baked one.
Thus, I recommend leaving it uncovered on top to allow excess liquid to evaporate.
How do you keep the meatloaf from falling apart?
The function of bonding in this recipe is performed by eggs.
If you see that the mixture is watery and does not hold its shape well, add an extra part of minced meat or bread crumbs.
I bake the meatloaf in a deep baking dish. But you can also use a bread pan.
If you like this “Lipton Onion Soup Meatloaf” recipe, please leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. I would love to hear from you and I truly appreciate your feedback! I will always do my best to respond to every comment ASAP. Thank you for following along! and happy cooking!
Leave a Reply