The main ingredients in meatballs are ground beef, cheese, egg, and bread crumbs. They are stewed in tomato sauce, with cheese and herbs added for serving.
HOW TO MAKE TEX-MEX MEATBALLS?
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, 1 cup of grated cheese, parsley, garlic, jalapenos, cumin, and egg. Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix until smooth.
- Form the meatballs roughly the same size.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, place the meatballs in a single layer, and cook over medium heat until golden brown, turning every 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Using the same skillet, heat the remaining oil and saute the onions for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add the crushed tomatoes and chipotle in adobo sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Return the meatballs to the skillet, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of grated cheese on top, cover for 1-2 minutes until melted, and serve. Garnish with parsley before serving.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TEX-MEX MEATBALLS?
CAN YOU FREEZE TEX MEX MEATBALLS?
Yes, you can. After stewing the meatballs in tomato sauce, do not add cheese. Let them cool, transfer them to a container with an airtight lid, and put them in the freezer.
Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before use. Put them in a frying pan, add a couple of tablespoons of water, and heat, covered with a lid. Only then add the cheese and serve hot.
- You can use any minced meat you prefer.
- If the meat mixture is too dry, add one extra egg. If too thin, use bread crumbs.
- If you don’t like or use jalapenos, replace them with chopped bell peppers.
Other Ground Beef Recipes You Might Like:
- STUFFED PASTA SHELLS WITH GROUND BEEF
- GROUND BEEF ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- JOHNNY MARZETTI GROUND BEEF CASSEROLE
- TACO SOUP
- CRACKER BARREL MEATLOAF
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 (15-oz.) Can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- Combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, 1 cup cheese, parsley, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, egg, salt, and pepper to taste, and mix until smooth. Shape the meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, place the meatballs, and fry until golden, 1-2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.
- To the same skillet, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until tender. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and chipotle in adobo. Bring to a boil. Return the meatballs to the skillet, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining cheese, let it melt for 2 minutes, and serve garnished with parsley.