Ground meat cooked to perfection wrapped in a flour tortilla and bathed in the most flavorful enchilada sauce, topped with melted cheese. That first bite is so good. You can feel all the flavors melting in your mouth. I absolutely love Enchiladas!
The only downside is having to wrap all those tortillas one by one. But, if you make a baked layered enchilada casserole, you bypass all that.
I used ground beef, corn, and jarred enchilada sauce to make this an easy, simple meal that can be on the dinner table in just a matter of minutes. Sometimes you don’t have time to make everything from scratch.
ENCHILADA CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS:
- Lean ground beef
- Enchilada sauce
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
HOW TO MAKE ENCHILADA CASSEROLE?
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Using a large skillet, brown the ground beef until no pink is left.
- Add the enchilada sauce and salsa, and mix well. Set aside.
- Spray the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray and layer two tortillas on the bottom.
- Spoon ⅓ of the meat mixture over the tortillas.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of corn evenly over the meat sauce
- Top with ⅓ of the shredded Cheddar cheese
- Repeat layers ending with tortillas, meat sauce, and cheese, and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH ENCHILADA CASSEROLE?
I like to serve my casserole with a side salad of sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes, and red onion with a honey-lime dressing with a bit of cumin to keep with the southwestern flavors, but any salad of your choice will do. Try Healthier Waldorf salad or homemade creamy Caesar salad dressing and best-tossed salad.
CAN YOU FREEZE ENCHILADA CASSEROLE?
Assemble the casserole and freeze it without baking it. Wrap it in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and keep it frozen for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to bake it, thaw it in the fridge overnight and take it out of the fridge half an hour before baking it for 30 mins in a preheated 350F oven until the cheese is melted.
CAN I MAKE ENCHILADA CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME?
For best results keep the unbaked, fully assembled casserole in the fridge for up to 3 days and then bake it.
You can also make it ahead of the meat sauce and keep that in the fridge and assemble the casserole whenever you are ready to bake it.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Easy Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 6 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no pink is left.
- Add the enchilada sauce and salsa, and mix well. Set aside
- Spray the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray and layer two tortillas on the bottom
- Spoon ⅓ of the meat mixture over the tortillas
- Sprinkle 1 cup of corn evenly over the meat sauce.
- Top with ⅓ of the shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Repeat the layers ending with tortillas, meat sauce, and cheese, and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.