There are days when all I crave is a great big salad made with crunchy lettuce. I love the freshness and guilt-free feeling of eating until I feel satisfied without having to worry about calories. Salads are by far my favorite meals.
The Best Tossed Salad
In my tossed salad I always add lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots, and when I want to make it extra special I add roasted corn and chopped avocado.
When it comes to salads, your imagination is the limit. There are endless possibilities, but this simple recipe is always a winner.
TOSSED SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- Romaine lettuce
- Plum tomatoes
- Grilled corn
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
I always use extra-virgin olive oil in my salad dressings and if I’m counting calories, Monkfruit sweetener instead of sugar. You can also use honey.
HOW TO MAKE EASY TOSSED SALAD?
- Wash and cut your veggies. Arrange lettuce on the bottom of a salad bowl, and add the chopped veggies on top
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Add to the salad and toss until well combined.
HOW LONG DOES TOSSED SALAD LAST?
I am a true believer in making just enough salad so that it can all be consumed right away. But, if you have any leftovers, make sure to drain any excess dressing, cover, and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can always add a bit more dressing if the salad needs it.
VARIATION AND RECIPE SUBSTITUTIONS
- For me, a great variation is adding fresh fruit. I love to add sliced oranges, strawberries, or blueberries to my salads. It adds an extra sweetness that balances out the vinegar in the dressing.
- Nuts are a great addition to salads. Love the crunch and nutty taste they provide.
- Shredded Parmesan for Italian-style salads and fresh herbs like fresh basil. Sometimes I even add goat cheese.
- Croutons: missing some crunch? Add croutons for a delicious crunchy bite.
- Protein: grilled or cooked chicken breast is always a favorite if you want to make a complete meal out of your salad. Grilled steak or even tuna are great choices too.
- I like to take the seeds out of the tomatoes before chopping them. I think they add too much moisture to the salad and make it soggy faster. I give the same treatment to cucumbers if I can’t find seedless ones.
- I love to use a salad spinner to dry the lettuce leaves. Too much water sticking to the leaves waters down the dressing.
- Don’t add the dressing too early. Add it just before serving to keep your veggies fresh and crunchy.
- Refrigerate tossed salad for a few minutes before serving it. There is just something about cold and crispy lettuce that I love.
More Easy Salad Recipes
The Best Tossed Salad
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 small plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup grilled corn (or whole kernel corn)
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and cut your veggies. Arrange the lettuce on the bottom of a salad bowl, add the chopped veggies on top
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Drizzle over the salad and toss until well combined.