If you are caught off guard on the agenda by the question of what to cook – easy sloppy joe casserole is the perfect solution.
This is a delicious tomato, cheese, and vegetable casserole.
It consists of pasta and corn kernels; ground beef, fried with bell peppers, onions, and garlic. And, of course, sauce with tomatoes, ketchup, and mustard.
All this is mixed with a good portion of cheese and then baked in the oven.
Just try it to taste!
HOW TO MAKE SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat some vegetable oil in a large skillet, add the ground beef, and cook, stirring constantly. Break the pieces and turn them until the minced meat is evenly fried and crumbly.
- Add diced red and green bell peppers, chopped onion, and garlic to the minced meat. Cook over medium heat, occasionally stirring for 5-7 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Add the diced tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper to the skillet and stir. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring two pots of water to a boil. Add the pasta to one and cook until al dente according to the instructions on the package. In another, add frozen corn and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the water from both pots.
(!) I prefer to cook everything in one pot. First, I boil the pasta, then add corn 5 minutes before cooking.
- Add the dried pasta and corn to the skillet with the grated cheese, mix everything thoroughly.
- Place everything in a large baking dish (at least 9×13 inches) and place it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is slightly browned.
You can sprinkle an extra portion of cheese on top.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE?
Homemade sloppy joes are very satisfying food and can freely serve as an independent dish.
However, you can serve this casserole with something light, such as baked or raw vegetables and salads; Healthier Waldorf Salad, Homemade Creamy Caesar Salad Dressing, The Best Tossed Salad. Here are some recipes, for example, Amish Broccoli Salad & Candied Carrots.
If you need to prepare ground beef casserole with penne pasta in advance, follow all 5 steps from the directions before baking in the oven.
After placing the entire casserole in a baking dish, wait until it has completely cooled.
Then wrap it in foil and put it in the refrigerator if you plan to cook it in the next 24 hours or the freezer.
Before cooking, preheat the oven to 350F, sprinkle extra cheese on the casserole and cook as usual.
- You can reduce the amount of pasta for a more meaty casserole.
- Use your favorite cheese or a combination of several.
- Pasta and corn can be cooked in the same pot. First, cook the pasta in boiling water for about 5 minutes, then add the corn.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Sloppy Joe Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 (16 ounces) package penne pasta
- 1 ½ cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- Add oil to a preheated skillet, add ground beef and fry over medium heat until golden brown.
- Add diced red and green bell peppers, chopped onion, and garlic, stir and cook for 5-7 minutes until crumbly.
- Add ketchup, tomatoes, mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and stir. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Boil corn and pasta in boiling water. This can be done in one or two different pots. Drain the water.
- Add the drained corn, pasta, and grated cheese to the skillet and stir.
- Place everything in a baking dish (9x13 ") and bake in preheated 350F oven for 20 minutes.
Leave a Reply