Connoisseurs of fresh vegetables – unite! A combination of fresh vegetables, fried bacon, aromatic cheddar, and creamy dressing. It is all about Amish broccoli salad. As the summer salad season approaches, this recipe is definitely a leader!
When at one party I was offered to be treated to a salad with raw broccoli, I said “Whaaat?” Up to this point, I did not even think that this vegetable can be consumed otherwise than cooked. But the salad looked quite appetizing.
I spotted bacon on a plate. I skeptically thought – “Interesting, is the bacon raw too?”, and cautiously decided to try it all the same. What was my surprise when the salad was not just edible, but really tasty!
I took the recipe for this salad and now also cook it, especially in the fresh broccoli season.
Why is the salad called Amish broccoli salad?
This recipe is from Amish women in Navarre, Ohio. Navarra is located on the northern edge of the Amish Archipelago in Ohio.
The rolling hills and temperate climate of this part of Ohio make it ideal. Ideal for growing gardens full of broccoli. Some of which you can use in this delicious salad recipe. Give it a try!
How to make Amish broccoli salad?
This salad you can prepare in two ways. The first is to use fresh broccoli and cauliflower. Wash vegetables and dry. Ideally – pour over boiling water, I am a supporter of heat treatment. Here you get a crispy salad of fresh vegetables.
Another option, and it is closer to me, boil vegetables until soft. You can do this by boiling broccoli and cauliflower in a saucepan for about 7-8 minutes, or steamed. Boiled vegetables are also good, less healthy, but not for everybody.
How to store Amish broccoli salad?
Put the salad in an airtight container with a lid. It is perfectly stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
What can you add to Amish broccoli salad?
You can diversify the taste of the salad, if desired, with:
– nuts (pecans, walnuts, cashews)
– seeds (pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds)
– raisins or unsweetened cranberries
– green beans
– sweet bell pepper
You can add sesame oil to salad dressing. It will give a pleasantly sweet aroma. Also, try adding Greek yogurt. You will get even more delicate taste. By the way, you can freely replace cheddar with parmesan or any other your favorite.
Tips to make Amish Broccoli Salad
– Having prepared a dressing, do not use all at once. Add half of the total and knead the salad. Try a salad, if the dressing is not enough, add another tablespoon.
– Sprinkle the salad with chopped fresh herbs and seeds.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME, SALAD RECIPES
How to make Amish broccoli cauliflower salad?
First, you need to divide the broccoli and cauliflower into inflorescences. Next, cut the bacon into thin slices and fry in a dry frying pan for about 2 minutes. Grate the cheese.
Combine the ingredients for the dressing. Mix all the ingredients of the salad, add dressing, and mix. Sprinkle with grated cheddar on top and serve.
How many calories in Amish broccoli salad?
One serving of salad weighing 100g contains 125 calories.
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Wash, dry and divide broccoli and cauliflower into inflorescences.
- Combine all the ingredients for dressing, mix.
- Cut into pieces and fry the bacon in a dry pan for a minute on each side.
- Grate the cheese finely.
- Combine vegetables, bacon, cheese and dressing. Stir so that all the ingredients will covere with sauce.
- Sprinkle the prepared salad with grated cheese and serve.
- You can use raw vegetables or boiled.
- Do not add sugar to the dressing if you do not like sweet salads.
- You can cut cheese into cubes. So the salad will look more aesthetically pleasing. This creates an extra texture. But grated cheese mixes better with dressing.
Don’t lose this recipe? Take a second to PIN IT