Now that winter is approaching. We need to stock up on soup and stew recipes. There’s nothing like coming home on a cold winter night to a pot of hot, steaming, delicious soup.
Taco soup is one of my family’s favorites. I love it because it is so easy to make, and it always tastes amazing.
I have tried several, and my favorite is this particular taco soup with ranch dressing and Rotel tomatoes with green chiles. It is so simple to make.
All you do is brown ground beef with veggies, mix in beans, tomatoes, corn, ranch dressing powder, and spices, let it simmer, and you’re done.
I had never heard of a taco soup with a ranch packet added, and to tell you the truth, ranch dressing is a perfect mix of spices that gives great flavor to the soup! So let me share some of my favorite soup recipes: Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup, Best Ever Thai Coconut Soup, Aguadito de Pollo Peruvian Chicken Soup, Roasted Tomato Basil Soup, and Crockpot Ham and Bean Soup are my absolute favs!
Taco Soup Ingredients
- Ground lean beef. I like to use grass-fed, 93% lean beef. High protein and low fat are what I try to do with all my meals.
- Onion and garlic, are always present in most of my recipes. Food tastes bland without them, in my experience. They are the perfect flavor couple.
- Green bell peppers give amazing color and flavor to the soup
- Crushed tomatoes have the perfect consistency for soup. I think diced tomatoes are too big. Crushed tomatoes are best for soups.
- Pinto beans and black beans are my favorites. Draining pinto beans is enough, but when using black beans, you should rinse them before adding them to the soup, or their juices will turn the soup a blackish color.
- Rotel tomatoes with green chiles add just a bit of a kick. You can choose the level of spiciness by buying hot, original, or mild. I like the original.
- Beef broth. I think all soups should be made with either beef or chicken broth.
- Whole kernel corn. You can either use canned or frozen. This time I used canned, but frozen corn takes very little time to cook.
- Taco seasoning can be bought in packets, and it’s good to always have at home. You can use it to season tacos, fajitas, or soups.
- Ranch dressing mix is the star of the soup show this time. It provides a great mix of spices and flavorings. You will love it.
- Cumin and coriander are some of the most common spices used in Mexican cooking, and adding them makes this dish more authentic.
How To Make Taco Soup with Ranch Dressing?
It is so simple and fast. You will have this soup on the table in less than 45 mins.
- Start by browning the ground beef along with the chopped onion, green bell pepper, and minced garlic in a 4-quart Dutch oven until no pink is left on the meat. Best investment ever for me is my Dutch oven. I love that it cooks food very evenly, and I can use it inside the oven as well.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, Rotel tomatoes with chiles, pinto and black beans, corn, beef broth, taco seasoning, ranch dressing mix, cumin, and coriander to the pot. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 mins. Remember to rinse the black beans before adding them to the pot.
- Serve with shredded cheddar, Fritos, fresh cilantro, and Mexican crema on top.
Taco Soup Variations
- For a spicier version, add chopped jalapenos
- If you are looking for a leaner version, use ground chicken or ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Black and green olives make a great addition to this soup.
If you want to make it Italian, use white beans and garbanzo beans, skip the diced tomatoes with green chiles and taco seasoning and add the ranch dressing mix and Italian spices such as oregano and basil instead of cumin and coriander.
What To Serve with Taco Soup?
This soup is a full meal in itself. All you need to add is a side salad and some great homemade bread.
- Do not boil the uncooked ground beef with the rest of the ingredients. You need to brown it first with the onions, garlic, and bell peppers to develop great flavor. Boiled beef doesn’t taste the same.
- Do not add unrinsed black beans to the soup, or else it will turn out blackish looking.
Ground Beef Recipes are a great source of protein, and my family loves them. Stuffed Pasta Shells with Ground Beef is a delicious one, as well as Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole, and John Marzetti Casserole.
Easy Taco Soup with Ranch
- 1 lb ground beef (I use 93% lean)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 - 15 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 - 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
- 1 - 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 - 15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 - 10oz can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 - 1 oz ranch dressing mix packet
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven or pot, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion, garlic, and green bell peppers
- Mix in the crushed tomatoes, tomatoes with green chiles, pinto beans, black beans, and whole kernel corn
- Add the beef broth, taco seasoning, ranch dressing mix, cumin, and coriander. Bring the soup to a boil, and simmer for 30 mins
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of beans goes in Taco Soup?
I like pinto and black beans the best, but kidney beans and garbanzo beans work great as well.
Can you freeze taco soup?
Yes. In an airtight container for up to 4 months.
Can I use ground turkey instead of ground beef?
You can use the meat of your choice. Ground turkey, chicken, pork, beef, or sausage all work great. Even a combination.
Can I make it in the crockpot?
Definitely! Just brown the beef with the onion, garlic, and green bell pepper first, then add all the rest of the ingredients and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6.