Homemade roasted tomato and basil soup what can I say the ultimate cosy warm hearting meal. Rich Roma tomatoes in a flavoursome blend of herbs and seasonings this soup recipe will for sure become a family’s favourite.
The best thing about this recipe is that majority if not all of the ingredients you will find at home. It’s also a great way to use any leftover tomatoes you may have laying about in the fridge. Pair with some freshly baked bread for that authentic feel. Enjoy!
How to make Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Step 1. Slice the tomatoes lengthways and add to a baking tray lined with foil. Add some olive oil, black pepper and salt then roast for 1 hour on 190 degrees
- Step 2. In a pan sauté onions in some olive oil, then add minced garlic, thyme and a large can of San Marzano tomatoes. Give it a good stir and add some sugar and roughly chopped basil. Add some salt and pepper and place the lid on let this simmer for 10 minutes
- Step 3. Now add the roasted tomatoes and the chicken stock then let simmer for a further 20-30 minutes
- Step 4. Here you can use a blender to make the soup extra smooth
- Step 5. Lastly, add the heavy cream and enjoy!
TIPS FOR BAKING THE PERFECT Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- You can roast the tomatoes in advance like the day before to speed up preparation
- Add fresh chives or parsley to make the flavour richer
- If you do not have a yellow onion, white onion is fine
What can I add to Roasted Tomato Basil Soup to make it taste better?
You can keep this dish simple with some croutons or pair with some cheesy garlic bread, Just before serving you can add some fresh chives or parsley, this will enhance the flavour
Can you freeze Roasted Tomato Basil Soup?
Yes, roasted tomato and basil soup are suitable for freezing. Do not freeze for longer than 3 months
How many calories in Roasted Tomato Basil Soup?
There are roughly 90 calories in roasted tomato and basil soup
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME, SOUP RECIPES
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- 9 Roma tomatoes (sliced)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil/ 2 tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2-3 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees
- Slices Roma tomatoes in half lengthways and place on to a baking tray lined with foil
- Drizzle on olive oil, ground black pepper, and salt then roast for 1 hour
- In a pan heat up 3 tbsp olive oil or 2 tbsp unsalted butter, dice the onion and sauté in pan for a few minutes
- Add in 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 tbsp of thyme and stir well
- Now add in the large 28 oz can of tomatoes and 1 tbsp of sugar. Stir again then add 1 cup of fresh basil roughly chopped. Let this simmer for 10 minutes
- Once cooked, add the roasted Roma tomatoes and let the mixture simmer for another 20-30 minutes
- Using a hand blender blend the soup until smooth
- Stir in 2/3 cups of heavy cream