This classic Mexican soup will for sure create some heat in the kitchen! With ingredients such jalapeño peppers and warm nutty freshly chopped coriander its packed full of flavor.
Did I mention it’s topped with crunchy tortilla chips too? This recipe is lightly and tasteful and what’s better it takes no time to put together at all! Serve with cool sour cream or avocado slices.
How to make Authentic Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Step 1. In a pan start with the corn tortillas, cut them into strips then shallow fry for 2 minutes. Drain them and set aside.
- Step 2. Now heat butter, then sauté chopped onions. Add coriander, minced garlic, and jalapeño peppers. Combine all ingredients well.
- Step 3. Add in the seasonings followed by some tomato paste
- Step 4. Add the shredded chicken and stock to the pan and stir well
- Step 5. Cover and cook for 15 minutes then serve topped with tortilla chips
Baking Tips For Chicken Tortilla Soup
Add a hint of lime whilst cooking or use lime slices to serve this will add a great feature to your soup
Top with the corn tortillas with cheese too for a great cooking tip
How do I thicken chicken tortilla soup?
You can add a little cornstarch to the chicken tortilla if it turns out too thin, be sure to add it little by little so you can control the thickness
Can you freeze chicken tortilla soup?
Yes you can freeze for up to 3 months
What to serve with chicken tortilla soup?
Serve this chicken tortilla soup with cool sour cream and avocado slices or some freshly baked bread
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Authentic Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 1/4 cup Jalapeno Peppers
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro
- 4 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 6 Soft Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups Shredded Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Red Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Adobo All Purpose Seasoning
- Heat a shallow pan with an inch of oil
- Cut 6 corn tortillas into strips and fry for 2 minutes, Set aside for later
- In the same pan drain the excess oil, add 1 tbsp butter and sauté 1 chopped onion
- Mince 3 tbsp of garlic, chop 1/2 a cup of fresh coriander, and dice 1/4 cup of jalapeño peppers then add to the pan
- Now add in 2 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1/4 red cayenne pepper, 1 tsp black pepper 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp adobo all purpose seasoning
- Add 1 tbsp tomato paste and stir well
- Pour in 4 cups of chicken stock and 2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken
- Cook for 15 minutes on a medium to low heat
- Before serving top with fried tortilla strips and some more freshly chopped coriander (optional)
Leave a Reply