If you want to serve something different and delicious for breakfast – here’s an idea for you! Homemade, Best Sweet rice is a cross between porridge and pudding.
Mixing delicate soft rice in milk, with dried cranberries, vanilla, and cinnamon makes a delicous sweet treat. It tastes great both hot and cold.
You can also cook it with any dried berries, and serve with chocolate, caramel sauce, or fresh fruit pieces. It is very similar to Old Fashioned Rice Pudding. Talking about pudding, please give our N0-Bake Banana Pudding Cheesecake and Lemon Custard Pudding Cake.
Sweet Rice Ingredients:
- Long Grain White Rice – I prefer this type of rice as it retains its grainy shape well and is not overcooked. Wash it to remove the starch.
- Butter – unsalted butter is best
- We need water to pre-cook the rice. If you want to speed up the process, use boiling water.
- Vegetable milk – I like to cook rice porridge in rice milk. But you can freely substitute it for almond, oatmeal, soy, or regular whole milk.
- Sugar – ⅓ cup of sugar is enough
- An egg and a spoonful of flour are needed to slightly thicken the entire milk mixture.
- Heavy cream – a little cream will also help thicken the porridge, and, of course, add creaminess to the dish.
- Vanilla extract and ground cinnamon for flavor and aroma. You can use vanilla pods and cinnamon sticks. in this case, throw them into the water with the rice at the very beginning, and remove them from the porridge before serving.
- Dried cranberries – Before using the berries, rinse them with boiling water. You can replace them with raisins, cherries, dried apricots, or nuts.
How To Make Sweet Rice?
- Wash the rice in cold water, cover it with two cups of water, and add butter. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the rice has completely absorbed the water.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine the sugar and flour, then pour in 2 cups of milk, egg, and vanilla extract. Beat everything with a whisk and pour over the cooked rice, then mix everything thoroughly and simmer for about 15 minutes over low heat.
- After 15 minutes, add another cup of milk, cream, dried cranberries, and ground cinnamon. Stir and let the porridge brew for 5-10 minutes. Serve hot or cold. After cooling, the mixture will thicken.
Substitutions & Toppings
This recipe uses plant-based rice milk. But you can easily use almond, coconut, soy, oat, or even whole cow’s milk. The main thing is to respect the suggested proportions.
You can also experiment with varieties of rice and get different textures of the dish with basmati, risotto, jasmine, parboiled, round, or long-grain rice.
Berries can also be different: dried cranberries, cherries, raisins, or dried apricots. Nuts, slices of fresh or caramelized apples, and pears.
And for topping, use ground cinnamon, chocolate pieces, caramel, vanilla sauce, or honey.
Freezing & Storing instructions;
Sweet rice keeps well in the refrigerator for only about three days because it has egg and cream in it.
To freeze, cool the sweet rice completely after cooking. Then put it in an airtight container with a lid and put it in the freezer.
Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving. Serve hot or cold (reheating in a saucepan or microwave with extra milk, stirring occasionally).
- Do not cover the boiling rice tightly with a lid, otherwise, the water will bubble and run onto the stove.
- If you are using whole cow’s milk, stir the mixture thoroughly during cooking so that the milk does not burn on the bottom.
- Cream and dried berries add their sweetness to the rice, so you can add sugar at the very end to your liking.
What to Serve with White Rice:
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Brown Sugar Garlic Chicken
- Broccoli Cheddar Chicken
- Miso Salmon
- Salmon With Lemon Cream Sauce
Sweet Rice Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups + 1 more cup of plant-based milk (rice)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Rinse the rice, cover with water, add butter, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes until the rice has absorbed all the water.
- Combine sugar, flour, 2 cups milk, egg, and vanilla. Whisk and pour into cooked rice, stir and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Pour in the cream, 1 cup milk, cranberries, and cinnamon, stir, and brew for a couple of minutes.
Answering Your Burning Questions:
Is Sweet Rice And Sticky Rice The Same?
Sweet rice (also known as Thai aromatic or jasmine rice) is a long-grain white rice that mainly grows in Southeast Asia.
When cooked, the grains become plump, fluffier, and tend to stick to each other.
Glutinous sticky rice (also known as Thai glutinous rice) is a type of glutinous rice that is commonly steamed. When steamed, the grains are opaque, stick to each other, and have a sticky taste.
How Do You Make White Rice Taste Sweet?
You don’t have to add sugar to this recipe. Indeed, the composition includes several ingredients at once, which will give a natural sweetness to the porridge.
This is milk, cream, and, of course, dried berries. And you will always have time to add sugar or any other sweetener even at the very end of cooking.
Can This Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Yes, Mexican sweet rice keeps well in the refrigerator and lends itself well to reheating.
Prepare it for example the night before and treat the whole family for breakfast.
Can You Use Sweet Rice For Sushi?
Only if you plan to cook sweet sushi! In general, special sticky rice is used for sushi. It gives them a special texture and flavor.
Can I Use Sweet Rice For Rice Pudding?
This popular dessert uses sweet rice flavored with coconut milk, brown sugar, and warm spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and anise).
Glutinous rice grains are opaque, shorter, and rounder, and are commonly used to make rice pudding and mochi (rice cakes).
If you like this “Sweet Rice Recipe”, please leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. I would love to hear from you and I truly appreciate your feedback! I will always do my best to respond to every comment ASAP. Thank you for following along! and happy cooking!