Do you love the best Homemade rice pudding recipe the way I do? This is an ideal delicacy for breakfast and dinner, and of course as a separate dish as a dessert.
Creamy thick pudding with rich vanilla aroma and a pinch of cinnamon. The hardest part about this recipe is waiting for the pudding to cool in the refrigerator. I never do that, I happily eat a whole bowl warm with a lump of butter. Try it too!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE RICE PUDDING?
- Pour 5½ cups of milk (1100 ml) into a large pan. Add 1/2 cup of sugar (100g), salt, stir and heat over medium heat.
- When the milk comes to a boil, add the washed rice (I use a heaping half cup) to a pan, stir and reduce heat to low. Do not cover the pan with a lid, otherwise, the milk will escape onto the stove. Cook for 50-60 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Stir occasionally, passing well with a wooden spoon along the bottom so that the rice does not burn.
- When the rice milk porridge thickens to a yogurt state, remove the pan from the heat and add 2 tsp. vanilla. Stir, let cool, then refrigerate.
- Pour the remaining milk (100 ml) into the cooled mixture, stir well.
- Pour the rice pudding into deep bowls and serve. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon if desired.
WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF RICE TO USE FOR HOMEMADE RICE PUDDING?
I prefer using long-grain white rice. Arborio rice or round grain white rice is also good. But be prepared for these rice varieties to cook faster than long grain rice.
FREEZE TRADITIONAL RICE PUDDING;
After it has cooled down at room temperature, put it in a container with an airtight lid and put it in the freezer.
Defrost overnight in the refrigerator before use, then add milk and stir well.
HOW TO REHEAT HOMEMADE RICE PUDDING?
If you will be reheating the pudding in a pan;
- add half a cup of milk and place the pan over low heat.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the pudding from burning to the bottom.
- You can add a lump of butter if desired.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE RICE PUDDING?
It is best to store the finished pudding in the refrigerator, as a dish cooked with milk can go bad very quickly.
You can store the pudding in the pot it was cooked in, or transfer the pudding to a container with a lid.
- Depending on the type of rice selected, the cooking time may vary. Cook long-grain white rice for 50-60 minutes. Arborio about 40 minutes. Round rice can be ready in half an hour.
- Use whole pasteurized milk.
- Serve the rice pudding chilled or warm with butter.
- During cooking, do not cover the pan with a lid, milk tends to escape onto the stove.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding
- 6 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice, I use a heaping half cup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- the ground cinnamon, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine 5½ cups milk, sugar, and salt. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add washed rice (I use a heaping half cup), stir, reduce heat to low and cook for 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When rice porridge thickens, remove from heat, add vanilla, and cool. Then pour in the remaining milk, stir and serve with a pinch of ground cinnamon.