The best homemade Corn dogs can now be made by you. High-quality hot dogs, and a batter that is prepared from dry (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, soda) and wet ingredients (buttermilk, eggs) make the most amazing corndogs. You can serve them with your favorite condiments or slather them with Coney Island Hot Dog sauce!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CORN DOGS?
These homemade Corn dogs go well with salads, as well as fresh or baked vegetables. I like Shrimp Pasta Salad and Amish Broccoli Salad. You can also make a super delicious hot dog sauce yourself. or serve them with a side of Taco Bell Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes.
HOW TO MAKE CORN DOGS?
- Prepare hot dogs: dry them with a paper or kitchen towel. Stick them in a bamboo skewer, piercing them about halfway.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk with eggs and stir with a fork until smooth.
- Pour the buttermilk and egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a hand whisk until smooth. Set aside and let it stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour vegetable oil into a deep skillet or saucepan and bring it to 375 F. over medium heat. Pour the batter into a tall glass and slowly dip the hotdog into it.
- Put the hot dog into the hot oil quickly and carefully. There must be enough oil to completely cover the hot dog, otherwise, the batter will slip off. Fry for about 4 minutes until golden brown, turning the hot dog. Using tongs, place them on a paper towel-lined plate or wire rack. Serve hot with ketchup or mustard.
CAN CORN DOGS BE REFRIGERATED?
Let the corn dogs cool down completely before placing them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat them in the microwave.
HOW TO KEEP CORN DOGS FROM CRACKING:
Corn dogs can crack when air bubbles in the batter explode as you fry them. To prevent this from happening, tap the glass a few times on the counter to help air escape before placing the hot dogs inside.
Other finger food recipes you might enjoy:
Best homemade Corn dogs
- 12 hot dogs
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon. baking powder
- 1 teaspoon. kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon. baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon. cayenne pepper
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil
- Ketchup, Mustard
- Blot the hot dogs dry with a napkin, and pierce with a bamboo skewer from one end halfway up.
- Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl. In the other, beat the buttermilk and eggs with a fork. Combine both mixtures and whisk until smooth. Let the batter stand for about 5 minutes, then pour into a tall glass. In the meantime, heat enough oil in a deep skillet to 375F.
- Dip the hot dog into the batter, and place in the hot oil. Cook 3 to 5 corndogs at a time for about 4 minutes, turning if necessary, until golden brown.
- Place the corndogs on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- The dough should stand for about 5-10 minutes at room temperature before use.
- Corn dogs with sugar should be cooked in well-heated oil. It is best to use a cooking dipstick to measure the temperature.