While I’ve never been to Coney Island, I’ve seen enough movies about the wonderful fair-like beach boardwalk to know it’s a very special and fun place. I have, however, tried hot dogs with meat sauce and it is a combination to die for.
This Coney Island hot dog sauce is packed full of flavor and will make your basic hot dogs reach another level of deliciousness.
Spices like cumin, cinnamon, allspice, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder make a powerful combination with ground meat and tomato paste to make the famous Coney Island sauce for hot dogs that everybody loves and goes to this magical place to eat.
Now you can easily make it at home!
HOW TO MAKE CONEY ISLAND HOT DOG SAUCE
Follow the simple recipe below to make this delicious coney Island hot Dog sauce from scratch.
- Step 1. In a medium-sized pot or pan, cook the ground beef until browned. Drain excess liquids
- Step 2. Add the chopped onions
- Step 3. Measure your spices and mix them into the ground meat and onions
- Step 4. Next, add your tomato paste, salt, and pepper
- Step 5. Lastly, add 2 cups of water and simmer for 1-2 hrs depending on how you like your meat sauce. Coney Island hot dog sauce is supposed to be a bit runny
CAN YOU FREEZE HOT DOG MEAT SAUCE?
Definitely. Cook your sauce to the desired consistency, let it cool down completely, and put it in a freezer bag.
You can keep it frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to use, just thaw and heat it up in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop.
CAN YOU USE KETCHUP INSTEAD OF TOMATO PASTE?
You could, but it will add a bit of sweetness and acidity particularly to ketchup.
If you don’t have tomato paste on hand, go ahead and use it, but I would recommend using tomato paste.
- After adding your spice mix, give it a try. You may want to add a bit more of something like cayenne if you like it a bit hot.
- Check on your sauce every so often to check on consistency and give it a stir so it doesn’t stick to the bottom and burn.
- You can play with your toppings. I love to add relish or chopped jalapeno peppers. Cheddar cheese is definitely a favorite in my house too.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Homemade Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅙ tsp freshly ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups of water
For the hot dogs:
- 12 hot dogs
- 12 hot dog buns
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- Prepared yellow mustard to taste
- Optional: Shredded cheddar to cheese
- In a medium-sized pot or pan, cook the ground beef until browned. Drain excess liquids
- Add the chopped onions
- Measure your spices and mix them into the ground meat and onions
- Next, add your tomato paste, salt, and pepper
- Lastly, add 2 cups of water and simmer for 1-2 hrs depending on how you like your meat sauce. Coney Island hot dog sauce is supposed to be a bit runny