I just love these Italian butterball cookies soo much. Soft cookies with vanilla and almond scent, yes, both extracts are used here and they give an extra flavor. A few secrets will make your cookies especially tasty.
Use confectionery sugar for a smooth, creamy texture and you will definitely want high-quality butter. Smooth chewy cookies are perfect with a cup of tea, coffee, or cocoa.
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN BUTTERBALL COOKIES?
- Preheat oven to 350F, line baking sheet with parchment.
In a deep bowl, combine softened butter and confectionery sugar. Stir by hand until the confectionery sugar is combined with the butter, then beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Add egg, almond, and vanilla extract and beat again.
- Sift flour, add salt, baking powder, and stir. Add flour mixture to butter and stir, then beat until smooth.
If the dough is too sticky, refrigerate the bowl with it for half an hour.
- Spoon the dough with a teaspoon and form it into balls 1 inch in diameter. Place them on the parchment 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool and remove from baking sheet. Sprinkle or roll in confectionery sugar.
WHAT IS THE BEST BUTTER TO MAKE ITALIAN BUTTER BALL COOKIES?
To make butter ball cookies without nuts, you can use any butter or even margarine.
But you will get the best results using unsalted butter with a high percentage of fat. Its aroma and quality will make your cookies very tasty.
CAN YOU FREEZE ITALIAN BUTTER BALL COOKIES?
Easy Italian butter ball cookie recipе can be frozen. It is best to do this at the stage of the finished dough. Fold the dough into a container with an airtight lid and place it in the freezer.
Defrost the dough overnight in the refrigerator before use. Then form into balls and bake as usual.
- When adding confectioner’s sugar or flour to the dough, mix first with a fork or hand whisk. Then use a mixer. Otherwise, you run the risk of filling the entire kitchen with sugar and flour.
- Use high-quality unsalted butter.
- If the dough is too sticky, chill it in the refrigerator for about half an hour, then start forming balls.
HOW TO STORE BUTTER BALL COOKIES?
The best Italian cookie recipe gives you soft cookies. Store them in a box with a lid or a container with an airtight lid to keep them soft. Shelf life at room temperature is about 2 weeks. For longer storage, keep the cookie box in the refrigerator.
If you’re looking for more holiday treats to add to your cookie plates, check out
- ALMOND BUTTER COOKIES
- BISQUICK CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- I WANT TO MARRY YOU COOKIES
- AMAZING WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP PISTACHIO COOKIES
- BIG SOFT GINGER COOKIES
- SOFT ALMOND PILLOW COOKIES
Italian Butterball Cookies Recipe
- 1 stick butter
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Mix confectionery sugar in a bowl, beat until creamy.
- Add the egg, almond, and vanilla extract and whisk.
- Pour in the sifted flour with salt and baking powder, mix until smooth.
- Form into 1 "balls, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment 2" apart. Bake in an oven preheated to 350F for 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.