This homemade chicken and dumplings is such a tender, creamy, flavorful, and tasty dish. Also, it is quick and easy to prepare, so you and your family will definitely like it. You can make this chicken and dumplings recipe in less than an hour.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
Follow the recipe below, and make sure to read through the frequently asked questions and pro tips to bake the Best Homemade Chicken And Dumplings Recipe.
- Step 1. Add 6 tbsp butter to a large pot. Melt over medium-high heat.
- Step 2. Add 1 cup chopped onion, 1 cup matchsticks carrots, and 1 cup celery to the melted butter. Mix to combine. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until veggies is soft.
- Step 3. Add 4 cloves minced garlic to the pot. Stir and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Step 4. Add 3 tbsp all-purpose flour to the veggies. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Step 5. Pour 12 oz evaporated milk and 32 oz chicken stock into the pot. Mix. Then, bring it to a boil.
- Step 6. Add 4 cups shredded cooked chicken, 1 tsp dried or 1 tbsp fresh thyme, 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Step 7. Prepare the dumplings. Add 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried thyme to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Step 8. Pour 4 tbsp melted butter and ¾ cup whole milk into the dry ingredients. Mix using a rubber spatula until combined, and the mixture looks like a dough.
- Step 9. Form the dumplings using an ice-cream scoop.
- Step 10. Add dumplings to the chicken soup. Place the dumplings with some distance between them, because they will increase in size. Lightly dip the dumplings into the soup. Cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked (gently stir the chicken soup with dumpling a few times). Check the readiness of the dumplings by halving one of them with a spoon. Serve warm.
Do you cook dumplings covered or uncovered
According to this chicken and dumplings recipe, you need to cook chicken soup uncovered and cover the pot with a lid after you add the homemade dumplings to the chicken soup. Cook covered for 15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked.
do you add milk to chicken and dumplings?
Yes, you need to add ¾ cup milk and 4 tbsp melted butter to the wet ingredients while cooking these homemade dumplings.
can you reheat chicken and dumplings?
Yes, sure. You can reheat the chicken and dumplings. The best way to do it on the stove. I prefer to remove the homemade dumplings from the pot and reheat only the chicken soup. It would be better to prepare the fresh dumplings while the chicken soup is reheating.
what to serve with chicken and dumplings
TIPS FOR BAKING THE PERFECT CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
- You can use fresh thyme instead of dry. You can also use fresh or dried parsley
- If your dumpling dough looks too dry, you can add more whole milk
- You need to use a really large pot for this chicken and dumplings recipe to prevent the dumplings from sticking together. Be sure to place the dumplings with some distance between them in a pot, because they will increase in size.
can you freeze chicken and dumplings?
Yes, chicken and dumplings can be frozen. Let the chicken and dumpling cool completely. Remove dumplings from the pot and freeze only the chicken soup in an airtight container or in a freezer bag.
It is better to prepare fresh dumplings when you reheat the frozen chicken soup. Also, you can freeze the uncooked dumplings and cook them while reheating the chicken soup. You can store chicken and dumplings in the fridge for up to three months.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME, CHICKEN RECIPES
- Doritos Chicken Casserole
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Pineapple Chicken And Rice
- Skillet Chicken And Mushroom Wine Sauce
- Chicken Stew
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Cajun Chicken With Bell Peppers
- Alice Springs Chicken Recipe
- Marry Me Chicken
EASY HOMEMADE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS RECIPE
For the chicken soup:
- - 6 tbsp butter;
- - 1 cup chopped onion;
- - 1 cup matchsticks carrots;
- - 1 cup diced celery;
- - 4 cloves garlic, minced;
- - 3 tbsp flour;
- - 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk;
- - 32 oz chicken stock;
- - 4 cups shredded cooked chicken;
- - 2 tsp pepper;
- - 1 tsp dried thyme;
- - 1 tsp salt.
For the dumplings:
- - 2 cups flour;
- - 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp baking powder;
- - 1 tsp pepper;
- - 1 tsp salt;
- - 1 tsp dried thyme;
- - ¾ cup whole milk;
- - 4 tbsp melted butter.
- Melt butter in a large pot. Add chopped onion, matchsticks carrots, and celery. Stir to combine. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until veggies are soft. Add minced garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Then, add all-purpose flour. Mix to combine and cook for 1 minute more. Pour evaporated milk and chicken stock into the veggies mixture. Mix and bring to a boil.
- Add shredded chicken,dried thyme, pepper, and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the dumplings while the chicken soup is simmering. Mix together all-purpose flour, baking powder, pepper, salt, and thyme in a large bowl. Then, add melted butter and whole milk to these dry ingredients. Mix using a rubber spatula until combined, and the mixture looks like dough.
- Form the dumplings using an ice-cream scoop. Add dumplings to the chicken soup. Place the dumplings with some distance between them, because they will increase in size. Lightly dip the dumplings into the soup. Cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked (gently stir the chicken soup with dumplings a few times). Check the readiness of the dumplings by halving one of them with a spoon. Serve warm.