This bake chicken enchilada is a traditional Mexican dish. It is a corn tortilla casserole with filling. Most often (in our case) the filling includes meat. But if you want variety or just a vegetarian version, replace chicken with vegetables and chicken cream soup with eggs.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada
During my lifetime, I have radically changed my house place three times. But, the geography of my crossings was limited to mid-latitudes. I grew up in the conditions of traditional European cuisine and continue to stick to it.
In search of culinary adventures and discovering new tastes, I periodically try spicy food. Then, of course, my body, which is not adapted to spicy food, rebels and my soul literally burns out.
So, if you are looking for vivid adventures for your taste buds – feel free to use all the designated amount of chili peppers from this easy chicken enchilada casserole recipe. If you find your situation identical to mine – halve the number of chilies, please!
By the way, you can cook this casserole from the beginning by yourself. Use the most detailed chicken recipe – How to Cook Shredded Chicken.
And for the broth, prepare the cream soup. Boil 150 ml of chicken stock and 50 ml of milk. In a separate bowl, combine 50 ml of cold milk, 45 grams of flour, salt, pepper, and spices.
Pour into the boiling broth and cook for 3-4 minutes over low heat until thickened, constantly stirring with a whisk so that no lumps form. Your chicken cream soup is ready!
How to make chicken enchilada casserole?
This casserole is cooked quickly and easily. To put together all layers quickly, first prepare all ingredients. Slice the chicken into cubes, grate the cheese, and chop the chili peppers.
Mix everything in a deep bowl.
For the sauce, you’ll need milk, sour cream, chili peppers, soup, salt, and spices. Line 6 tortillas on the bottom, top with chicken, sauce, and cheese. Then repeat all the layers from the beginning.
How long to bake chicken enchilada casserole?
The approximate cooking time of the casserole is 30-40 minutes at a temperature of 350 degrees F.
At the end of baking, you will notice that the sauce with cheese is boiling and bubbling, and the surface of the casserole has turned golden brown. This indicates the readiness of your casserole.
How to layer chicken enchilada casserole?
First, line the bottom of the baking dish with 6 tortillas. Do not forget to grease the form itself with oil so that the tortillas do not burn.
Then spread 3/4 chopped chicken and fill it with half the sauce. Distribute the sauce until the chicken is completely covered. Sprinkle with half the cheese.
Cheese in a casserole plays the role of “glue”, so on top of the cheese; we spread a new layer of tortillas and repeat again. Besides, the cheese, combined with a liquid sauce, thickens it.
Can you make chicken enchilada casserole ahead of time?
Easy! You can cook the casserole and freeze it. Defrost and heat up the day before cooking. Or just keep the cooked casserole in the refrigerator for about 4 days.
The hot casserole will spread a little on the plate. Cold can be easily cut into portioned pieces.
What to serve with chicken enchilada casserole?
How to make chicken enchilada casserole from scratch?
- Step 1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray oil to a 13 * 9-inch baking dish. Prepare the products: cut the chicken into cubes, chili peppers into small pieces and grate the cheese.
- Step 2. In a large deep bowl, combine chicken cream soup, sour cream, milk, chili, dried garlic, onions, salt, and black pepper.
- Step 3. Put 6 tortillas in a baking dish.
- Step 4. Put 3 cups of chopped chicken.
- Step 5. Pour in half the liquid sauce.
- Step 6. Sprinkle half the grated cheese.
- Step 7. Repeat: 6 tortillas, chicken, sauce, cheese.
- Step 8. Put in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and bubble. Let the dish cool for about 15 minutes and serve.
TIPS FOR BAKING THE PERFECT Chicken Enchilada Casserole
1) Sprinkle the casserole on top with hot pepper rings as desired.
2) Replace the hot cheddar cheese with any other, or a mixture, if necessary.
Can you freeze chicken enchilada casserole?
The beauty of this casserole is that you can freeze it in two stages. Freeze the raw casserole once you have laid all the layers. Or freeze an already prepared dish.
To do this, wait until it has completely cooled down, wrap it with cling film or foil and put it in the freezer. In both cases, defrost the casserole overnight in the refrigerator before cooking or heating.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Pineapple Casserole
- Scalloped Corn Casserole
- Hashbrown Casserole
- Johnny Marzetti Casserole
- Burrito Casserole Recipe
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz. (1 cup) sour cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 (4 oz.) can dice green chiles (or fresh)
- 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- pepper, salt to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Ina large bowl, combine soup, sour cream, milk, chili, garlic, onions, and black pepper.
- Lay the layers in a greased baking dish:- 6 tortillas- 3 cups chopped chicken- Half the sauce- Half grated cheese, And repeat again: tortillas, chicken, sauce, cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and bubble.
- You can cut the chicken into slices with a knife or torn into fibers with a fork or fingers.
- When cutting chili peppers manually, be extremely careful. After cutting, wash your hands, chopping board and knife well.
- In the hot season, I do not like spicy food, so I reduce the number of chili peppers at least twice. Adjust the severity of the dish to your liking.