I tried this recipe for the first time a very long time ago. It was summer, there was a sultry heat I was craving a fresh delicate sweet, I had a meeting with my sister later that day at her house.
She said on the phone that she would feed me something special. To be honest, I didn’t really want to go. She likes cooking different cakes with buttercream and baking hot fountains, I didn’t want to eat this at all.
Southern Banana Pudding Recipe
I went to her house, she poured me cold mint lemonade, and my life was getting better, she invited me to the table in the dining room, brought this incredible cool pudding. I told her: «I lost my mind! As…You knew that I was craving something cold and tasty today».
But when I tried this southern banana pudding I just was speechless, Lord, I haven’t eaten anything tastier in my life! I was ready to eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and even for several days in a row.
The aroma of banana and vanilla drives me crazy. Every time I try this dessert with my sister. The delicateness of the pudding and coolness of the cream just merge together perfectly
It is just divine! The perfect combination of ingredients! It is very simple to cook; you should try this southern banana pudding recipe.
How do you keep bananas from turning brown in the southern banana pudding?
If you want to cook this dessert immediately before you eat it with bananas, nothing will happen. When you spread the cream on it, cookies will get air to it, and it will not darken so quickly since the reaction due to the lack of oxygen slows down.
Well, if you want to eat banana pudding for several days, I can advise you to sprinkle bananas with lemon juice, it prevents bananas from darkening.
Why is my southern banana pudding runny?
Maybe you haven’t completely cooled the egg mixture with milk and starch; due to this, your pudding has become liquid. To be sure, you should cool this mixture to room temperature and when you cook this pudding, let it cool for 2-3 hours in the fridge.
Сan I make southern banana pudding ahead of time?
Yes, of course, you can cook it in advance for 1-2 days, it is perfectly stored in the fridge or you can prepare a mixture of milk, eggs, sugar, and starch, cook it and store in the fridge, pick up the pudding on the day when you need a dessert.
Do you bake southern banana pudding?
No, this recipe doesn’t need baking. The main secret is in the right cooling 2-3 hours in the fridge, a little patience and it will be ready. You need patience because you want to try this dessert.
How long does southern banana pudding last?
You can store dessert in the fridge for 3-4 days and it will not go bad at all. But I don’t recommend you to keep it more than that time, because of dairy products. It is very capricious in terms of storage. Although I think it will be all eaten under 3 days.
How to make Southern banana pudding
Step 1. You should take a medium saucepan and combine eggs, milk, yolk, sugar, salt, corn starch, put on low heat and bring it to a boil, constantly stir with a whisk or a spoon.
Step 2. When the mass boils, bubbles appear to add oil and vanilla, stir the mass overnight, cook for 3-5 minutes, it will turn out very thick, normally cover it tightly with cling film, and remove to cool.
Step 3. When the cream has cooled, you should prepare the form 9×13, it can be glass or ceramic. Then you should put ½ on the bottom of the package of vanilla wafers.
Step 4. You should put sliced bananas on top of vanilla wafers (1 whole and a half of banana)
Step 5. You should put a half the chilled cream on the bananas.
Step 6. You should repeat layers in the same order, firstly – vanilla wafers, then bananas and custard.
Step 7. You should put the remaining chopped bananas on top, whipped cream if you don’t have a ready one, you can sprinkle with chopped vanilla waffles.
Step 8. You should put the form into the fridge for 2-3 hours before cooking south banana pudding.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, HERE ARE A FEW MORE I THINK YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE!
Can you freeze southern banana pudding?
Yes, it can be frozen, but before that, put the pudding in an airtight container, which maintains the consistency of the dessert, of course, it can change quite a bit after defrosting, although, the taste will still be amazing.
TIPS FOR BAKING THE PERFECT Southern Banana Pudding
- You should buy bananas, which are not over ripped; there are no brown spots in it.
- It is better to use cream starch.
- If you haven’t got enough time, you can buy a box with ready-made pudding, but I advise you to try to make pudding by yourself, it takes very little time.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Southern Banana Pudding Recipe
- 4 cups of milk
- 4 Tbs butter
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large bananas sliced
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 container whipped topping or homemade
- 1 12 large box vanilla wafers
- Take a medium saucepan and combine eggs, milk, yolk, sugar, salt, cornstarch, put on low heat, and bring it to a boil, constantly stir with a whisk ora spoon. When the mass boils, bubbles appear then add oil and vanilla, stir the mass, cook for 3-5 minutes, it will turn out very thick, normally cover it tightly with cling film, and remove to cool. After it, you should remove the pan from the heat, cover the cream tightly with cling film and remove it to cool to room temperature, you get custard – pudding.
- Put into theform 9x13 a half of vanilla waffles, then put half of the bananas and a half ofcooled custard, repeat these layers in the same order.
- Put sliced bananas from whipped cream and painted vanilla wafers on top, and then place the mold in the fridge until it has completely cooled.
- You should use cow’s milk; vegetable milk won’t work for this recipe.
- If your mold is much smaller than mine, it will be good to make this dessert in small portioned cups.
- If you don’t have whipped cream, you can make it yourself. You should take a package of 33% cream and beat until stable peaks form using a mixer. You need to whip at high speeds of the mixer for 5-10 minutes, and your homemade cream is ready.