Do you love burritos? Of course, you do!!! Everyone does! And I’m not an exception. Today I try to make a new twist of traditional burritos and cook burrito casserole.
It’s like several burritos packed into one dish and baked. For me, it’s some kind of Mexican lasagna. Layers of wheat tortillas with creamy mushroom sauce, taco flavored juicy beef with refried beans and melted Mexican blend cheese on top…Doesn’t it sound yummy?
BAKED BURRITO CASSEROLE
The taste is perfect, it seems like this burrito casserole was delivered from a Mexican restaurant.
With our recipe, you’ll receive an 8-serving burrito casserole. So, you can easily feed more people without spending much time in the kitchen. Tasty and easy!
Want to ask what to do with leftovers? You can store them in the fridge for 2-3 days or freeze for later. But I’m more than sure, that with this delicious burrito casserole, you don’t need to think about leftovers.
Your family will beg you to double the recipe next time. Our burrito casserole looks like the perfect option both for a weeknight meal or Sunday family dinner.
What is in burrito casserole?
All ingredients of burrito casserole are very similar to the traditional burrito. So, you’ll need flour tortillas, ground beef, onion, refried beans, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, taco seasoning, and Mexican blend cheese.
If you are allergic to mushrooms or just don’t want to use cream of mushroom soup, you may use cream of chicken soup, it would also work.
How to cook a burrito casserole?
Burrito casserole is quite an easy dish to cook, so you don’t need to be a chef to prepare it.
First, you need to make a beef layer: saute beef with onion until no longer pink, then add refried beans, taco seasoning, and heat through.
Combine cream of mushroom soup and sour cream, spread half of it over the bottom of the dish.
Layer tortillas on top, then add ½ of beef mixture, sprinkle with cheese and continue such layering until you use all ingredients.
Your burrito casserole is almost ready, bake, and enjoy!
What to serve with burrito casserole?
There are plenty of options to serve burrito casserole with some salsa & chips, spring salad, avocado slices or guacamole, some chopped fresh lettuce leaves, or just a dollop of sour cream. Spanish rice or pasta mix could also be a good choice.
How to make BAKED BURRITO CASSEROLE from scratch:
Step 1. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add ground beef and chopped onion and cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain off any excess grease. To the same skillet add refried beans and taco seasoning, give a good stir and cook until heated through. Set aside.
Step 2. Combine cream of mushroom soup and sour cream in a medium bowl. Mix well until smooth and homogeneous. Transfer half of this mixture into your 9×13-inch baking dish and spread it over the bottom of the dish.
Step 3. Arrange a layer of 3 flour tortillas over a sour cream-soup mixture. You may need to cut or tear up your tortillas to evenly cover the dish. Top tortillas with a layer of the prepared beef. Use only half of the beef mixture for this layer. Sprinkle with a cup of shredded cheese on top.
Step 4. Continue to layer your casserole with all remaining ingredients in the same order: sour cream-soup mixture first, then tortillas, beef mixture again, and final layer of shredded cheese.
Step 5. Transfer your casserole to the preheated oven and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Share between plates and enjoy!
Can you freeze burrito casserole?
Surely, you can freeze burrito casserole! Cover the casserole dish with a freezer-safe lid or foil, or if you have leftovers, arrange them in an airtight container or in a freezer bag and place in a freezer.
Before cooking, let thaw and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
How many calories in a baked burrito casserole?
Are you interested in the nutritional value of the burrito casserole? Here you are: 1 serving of our burrito casserole contains 379 Calories.
It has 19 g of total fat, 9 g of which is saturated fat. No trans fat in this recipe! The recipe contains 21 g of protein, 9 g of net carbs, 3 g of dietary fiber.
TIPS FOR BAKING THE PERFECT burrito casserole
1. If you want to evenly cover the bottom of your baking dish with tortilla base, you need to overlap slightly your tortillas or take an additional one and slice it to fill the gaps.
2. If you love your burrito casserole to be spicier, feel free to drizzle some hot sauce over the first layer of cheese, or add some green chilies or chopped jalapeños.
3. You could use any type of tortillas for cooking burrito casserole. Corn, whole wheat, multigrain, or almond flour tortillas (for keto & low-carb option) would also work.
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, HERE ARE A FEW MORE I THINK YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE!
- Slow Cooker Poor Man’s Stew
- Marry Me Chicken
- Alice Springs Chicken Recipe (outback Copycat)
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Jiffy Cornbread Casserole
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
BAKED BURRITO CASSEROLE RECIPE
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a frying pan cook ground beef and onion in oil until the beef is no longer pink. Drain well. Add refried beans and taco seasoning, stir well and heat through.
- In a medium bowl mix cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Spread half of this mixture in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of 3 tortillas over a sour cream-soup mixture slightly overlapping them. Top tortillas with a layer of the beef mixture and sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese.
- Continue to layer all of the remaining ingredients in the same order and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and enjoy!
- If you are afraid that your burrito casserole may become mushy, you can try toasting your tortillas before using them. Toast all tortillas together in the oven or individually sear them on low heat using your stovetop.
- You may use ground turkey instead of ground beef. Or you could make an experiment and use the mix of ground beef and ground pork or any other type or combination of meat you love most.