What can be better than a slice of moist banana bread with a glass of milk or cup of tea? It’s very enjoyable!
I especially like this recipe, because of its flexibility.
You can add additional tropical flavors by adding dried fruits, chopped nuts, pineapple, pina colada-flavored yogurt or you can top banana bread with coconut flakes after pouring on the glaze.
Just take a break from your everyday routine and imagine you are on an island – while enjoying this mouth-watering slice of Jamaican banana bread with rum.
JAMAICAN BANANA BREAD INGREDIENTS
You can prepare this moist banana bread by using these ingredients: all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, raw sugar, melted butter, eggs, mashed ripe bananas, plain low-fat yogurt, dark rum, vanilla extract, sweetened flaked coconut, powdered sugar, lime juice.
HOW TO MASH BANANAS?
Mashing bananas is easy! First, you need to peel bananas. Then, I can recommend three ways to mash bananas that I use:
- Mash bananas in a food processor or a blender. This is the fastest and the easiest way to mash bananas. Break peeled bananas in a half and place in a food processor. Pulse a few times until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Mash bananas using a potato masher. This method is the easiest when you don’t want to use your food processor or when you don’t have it. Just place peeled bananas in a bowl and mash them with a potato masher.
- Mash bananas with a fork. This is a good way to mash overripe bananas. For firmer bananas, you will need to put in more effort to achieve the desired consistency. Place bananas in a bowl and mash them with a fork.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR A HEALTHY BANANA BREAD:
If you want to make a healthy banana bread recipe you can use whole wheat flour, oat flour, or spelled flour instead of all-purpose flour. Also, you can use erythritol sweetener instead of sugar.
JAMAICAN BANANA BREAD VARIATIONS;
You can make this Jamaican banana bread with rum more delicious and unique by adding:
- lime zest to the glaze;
- pineapple instead of flaked coconut;
- chopped walnuts or pecans;
- raisins or another type of dried fruits;
- poppy seeds, cinnamon, or chocolate chips.
Use your imagination and add your favorite flavors, but don’t add too many additional ingredients (no more than ½ cup in total).
TIPS FOR MOIST AND PERFECT BANANA BREAD;
- If you don’t have raw or turbinado sugar, you can use granulated sugar or brown sugar.
- You can use lemon juice instead of lime juice.
- You can also use pina colada flavored yogurt or coconut/banana/pineapple flavored yogurt.
- Don’t overmix the batter when adding the dry ingredients, otherwise, the banana bread batter will not rise well.
- You can use apple cider instead of dark rum.
- Measure ingredients correctly to achieve perfect results. For example, don’t scoop the flour from the package or container. Spoon flour and add to the measuring cup. When the measuring cup is full, level off the excess flour using the back of a knife or straight-edge spatula.
HOW TO FREEZE JAMAICAN BANANA BREAD?
I recommend freezing moist banana bread without the lime glaze.
Just let it cool completely after baking. Then, cover tightly with a plastic wrap and freeze.
When ready to serve, let it thaw in the refrigerator.
Then, prepare the lime glaze and drizzle over the Jamaican banana bread with rum.
You can store this flavorful Jamaican banana bread with rum in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap:
- 2-3 days at room temperature;
- for up to a week in the refrigerator;
- for up to 2 months in the freezer.
Jamaican Banana Bread
For the banana bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour;
- ¾ tsp baking soda;
- ½ tsp salt;
- 1 cup raw or turbinado sugar;
- ¼ cup butter, melted;
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature;
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe banana;
- ¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt;
- 3 tbsp dark rum;
- ½ tsp vanilla extract;
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp sweetened flaked coconut, divided.
For the lime glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar;
- 1 ½ tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, mix together all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together raw sugar and melted butter using an electric mixer. Then, add eggs, one at a time. Beat after each addition.
- Add mashed bananas, low-fat yogurt, dark rum, and vanilla extract to the wet ingredients. Beat until completely combined. Then, add the dry ingredients. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Stir in ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut. Don't overmix the batter.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper (leave some paper hanging on two sides, it will help to remove the Jamaican banana bread with rum from the loaf pan). Then, transfer the banana bread batter to the prepared loaf pan. Top with an additional 1 tbsp sweetened flaked coconut.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes or until ready. Check the readiness of the moist banana bread using a toothpick inserted in the center, if it comes out clean - the bread is ready. *If the banana bread is already golden brown, but still not ready inside, cover it with aluminum foil.
- While the bread is baking, prepare the lime glaze. In a bowl, mix together powdered sugar and lime juice. Set aside.
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and let it cool on a cooling rack. Then, remove the bread from the pan. Place on the cooling rack and drizzle with lime glaze. Let it cool completely. Then, slice and enjoy!
HOW TO MAKE IT VEGAN?
You can use ¼ cup of coconut oil/vegan butter/applesauce instead of melted butter, flax eggs instead of chicken eggs, ¼ cup dairy-free yogurt (we have used dairy-free coconut yogurt) instead of plain low-fat yogurt.
*To replace 2 chicken eggs you will need to use 2 tbsp flaxseed meal and 5 tbsp water. Add flaxseed meal and water to a small bowl. Stir together and set aside for 5 minutes. Then, add to other ingredients.
- Make It Dairy Free: You can use ¼ cup of coconut oil/vegan butter/applesauce instead of melted butter and ¼ cup dairy-free yogurt (we have used dairy-free coconut yogurt) instead of plain low-fat yogurt.
- Make It Egg-Free: You can use flax eggs instead of chicken eggs.
- Make It Gluten-free: You can use 2 cups gluten-free flour blend instead of 2 cups all-purpose flour.
- Make It Lower In Fat: You can use ¼ cup applesauce instead of melted butter.
This is a keeper! Delicious, great for the lunchbox. Have made it again and again. Thanks.
So glad you loved it! Thanks so much for the 5-star rating!
Amazing with lime glaze