If you ask me what my favorite Mexican dish is, then my answer will be the Mexican casserole. When I eat it I turn up in my beloved Mexico. The mixture of beef, beans, tomatoes, corn, and grilled cheese is tasty and perfect!
The right choice of spicy sauce plays an important role, that’s why I will tell you about some options of how to cook the home-made sauce.
There is not a single person who dislikes this casserole, it’s just important to cook it the right way and not forget anything.
It is insanely easy to cook, I think even those with no experience in cooking will manage it, you don’t need any special skills for it. So, let’s get to cooking!
How to make Beef Enchilada Casserole
Follow the simple recipe below to make this delicious Beef Enchilada Casserole from scratch.
- Step 1. Heat the pan, pour a little bit of oil onto it, and put the beef on the pan. Fry it for 2 minutes without stirring, then stir it, fry for 1-2 more minutes. Then cook it for a couple more minutes, while stirring it constantly, the beef should get ruddy and brown.
- Step 2. Making a stuffing for the casserole. Mix corn, black beans, beef, tomatoes salt, cumin, pepper, and garlic powder, add half of Enchilada sauce (you can make it yourself or purchase it). Stir it well with a spoon so that the mass becomes even.
- Step 3. Put refried beans on 12 soft corn tortillas evenly.
- Step 4. Get the baking form ready and pour the remaining half of Enchilada sauce into it.
- Step 5. Put the tortillas into the form, right on the sauce. It’s fine if they touch one another.
- Step 6. Put in the stirred stuffing made of meat, corn, beans, tomatoes, and specialties, evenly.
- Step 7. Throw powdered cheese on the mixture.
- Step 8. Now repeat the layer: add 6 more tortillas, then put stuffing in, then the remaining powdered cheese. Put the form with the casserole into the oven at 350 degrees Celsius and leave it there for 35 minutes, then take it out and let it cool for 10 minutes before cutting it.
How to make Enchilada sauce
- Step 1. Heat butter on medium fire in a deep pot. Put two cloves of chopped garlic in it and fry it for 2 minutes.
- Step 2. Add the remaining specialties, green – oregano, chili or black pepper, cumin, salt, basil, salsa, parsley. Stir it a little and pour tomato pasta with water into the mixture. Boil the mass, stir it well, set the fire to a minimum, and boil it for 15 more minutes. The sauce is ready!
What to serve with beef enchilada casserole?
It is ideal to serve the casserole with fresh vegetables and green, a salad for example Amish Broccoli.
I also love cutting cherry tomatoes and avocado for a toast to be served with it. I think you can eat this casserole with everything; it will anyway be very tasty.
How many calories in beef enchilada casserole?
100 grams of this casserole contains 380 calories. It is rich and nourishing, calories here aren’t from nothing, and they are healthy.
Even those trying to lose weight can treat themselves with a piece of this casserole. It is hard to stop eating after the first piece!
How to layer chicken Beef Enchilada Casserole?
You may also add fried chicken to the stuffing or take the chicken meat instead of the beef.
Once, I beat a boiled chicken in a blender with some broth and got a chicken pasta, I added it to refried beans and mixed well. Don’t be afraid to play around with the casserole and add your favorite ingredients.
Baking Tips For Enchilada Beef Casserole
- Don’t’ be afraid to make Enchilada sauce at home, it’s very simple, fast, and tasty.
- Use the non-stick or glass dishes for baking so that the casserole doesn’t burn or stick.
- If you use fat-rich meat I advise you to remove fat from the pan.
Can you freeze beef enchilada casserole?
Yes, you can freeze the casserole in a package or a container with a lid. You can later heat it in an oven or a microwave. Don’t forget to defrost it before heating it. The taste doesn’t spoil from freezing. It can be stored in a fridge for 3-4 days.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- Jiffy Cornbread Casserole
- Funeral Potatoes
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- Johnny Marzetti Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce (Or make the homemade recipe is below)
- 1 12 ounces package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 16 ounces can refried Beans
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 1 15 ounces can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups shredded cheese, (I recommend the Mexican blend)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Fry the meat with oil on the pan until it becomes ruddy. It should turn from the pink into brown.
- Grease all tortillas with refried beans.
- Mix every ingredient for stuffing in one deep plate, it’s corn, black beans, meat, tomatoes, salt, cumin, pepper, garlic powder, and half of Enchilada sauce that you have. Stir everything well with a spoon.
- Put the remaining half of enchilada sauce into the form, in which you will be cooking the casserole. Put 6 tortillas onto it.
- Put half the stuffing you have onto the 6 tortillas
- Throw 1 cup of powdered cheese onto the form evenly.
- Now repeat the layer. First, 6 tortillas, then stuffing, then remaining powdered cheese.
- Put the casserole into the oven at 350 degrees Celsius for 35 minutes. When the casserole is ready don’t cut it immediately, let it cool a little, some 5-10 minutes will be enough.
- You don’t necessarily have to use beef, you can use chicken or pork if you prefer it.
- You may play around with ingredients, for example, you can throw some onion in and fry everything all together.
- Sometimes I cook the casserole for 2 -3 forms, I get one ready from the start and put the rest into the fridge, they can be stored like that.