These Mini Lemon Drop Cakes are super airy, tender, and moist. If you are a lemon lover and you like simple and delicious homemade mini cakes, this recipe is for you.
Mini Lemon Drop Cakes
They taste like the most delicious lemonade in the world. Try it and these mini lemon cakes will melt in your mouth!
I associate these mini lemon drop cakes with sunny summer days. Therefore, I usually cook them on rainy days to cheer myself up. These mini lemon drop cakes have a beautiful sunny color, rich lemon aroma, and delicate taste.
It is so good that these mini lemon drop cakes are super easy to prepare. I think you definitely have all the ingredients on hand.
You will need all-purpose flour, sugar, powdered sugar, fresh lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, butter, water, sour cream, one egg, milk, baking soda, and salt.
That’s all. Also, you will need a non-stick mini muffin pan, cooking spray, and cooling rack. Mini Lemon Drop Cake recipe is really easy.
What makes Mini Lemon Drop Cakes moist and fluffy?
Ingredients such as sour cream, egg, baking soda, and lemon juice make these Mini Lemon Drop Cakes so moist and fluffy. Be sure to use egg and sour cream at room temperature.
Also, you don’t need to over-mix the batter if you want to try these soft, buttery mini cakes.
How to make Mini Lemon Drop Cakes?
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup sugar, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp baking soda to the bowl. Combine.
- In a small saucepan, heat ½ cup unsalted butter until melted. Add ½ cup water to the melted butter. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add this hot butter mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix using an electric mixer until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter.
- Add ¼ cup sour cream, one egg, 1 tbsp lemon zest, 1 tbsp lemon juice to this mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Grease mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop batter into prepared mini muffin pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. When mini lemon drop cakes are ready, let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Then, transfer to the cooling rack.
- Prepare the glaze while mini lemon drop cakes are cooling. Add 1 ½ cup powdered sugar, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp milk, 1 tsp lemon zest, 1 tbsp melted butter to the bowl. Mix until combined. Then, heat for 10-15 seconds in the microwave.
- Dip each mini cake into the lemon glaze.
- Return mini lemon drop cakes to the cooling rack, let the glaze harden.
- Don’t overmix the batter, otherwise, the mini lemon drop cakes won’t be so soft.
- You don’t need to use muffin liners. Just grease a non-stick mini muffin pan with cooking spray and you can be sure that they won’t stick to the pan.
- If the glaze is hardened or thickened, just heat it in the microwave before dipping mini cakes into it.
Freeze Mini Lemon Drop Cakes;
You can freeze these Mini Lemon Drop Cakes. It is better to freeze them without the glaze. How to freeze these mini cakes? It is easy.
Let them cool completely to room temperature. Then, wrap them in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container and freeze them for later.
You can defrost them at room temperature, in the microwave, or in the oven.
Personally, I like to defrost them in the oven. Also, you can prepare the glaze while mini cakes are defrosting.
How do you fix sunken Mini Lemon Drop Cakes?
Your Mini Lemon Drop Cakes can be sunken if you underbake them.
Be sure that you preheat the oven to 325°F. Also, you shouldn’t open the oven until the mini cakes rise a little and become golden.
Try to not open the oven before 10 minutes have passed.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
MINI LEMON DROP CAKES
For the mini cakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour;
- 1 cup sugar;
- ½ tsp salt;
- ½ tsp baking soda;
- ½ cup butter;
- ½ cup water;
- ¼ cup sour cream;
- 1 egg;
- 1 tbsp lemon zest;
- 1 tbsp lemon juice.
For the glaze:
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar;
- 2 tbsp lemon juice;
- 2 tbsp milk;
- 1 tsp lemon zest;
- 1 tbsp butter, melted.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add water, stir and bring this buttery mixture to a boil.
- Add this hot buttery mixture to dry ingredients. Using an electric mixer, mix until just combined.
- Add sour cream, egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Beat until smooth.
- Grease mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Add batter to the prepared muffin tins. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let them cool for 5 minutes in the mini muffin pan. Then, transfer them to the cooling rack. Let them cool to room temperature.
- While they are cooling, prepare the glaze. Combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, milk, and melted butter. Heat for 10-15 seconds in the microwave.
- Dip each mini lemon drop cake into the glaze (bottom side down). Then, return to the rack. Serve when glaze hardens.