If you are still wondering what kind of dessert to prepare for the guest’s arrival, then you’d rather grab this recipe. Preacher cake is not from a timid dozen. It will completely capture your mind, taste, and olfactory receptors, and, of course, the stomach.
How to make Preacher Cake
Follow the recipe below, and make sure to read through the frequently asked questions and pro tips to bake the Best Preacher Cake.
- Step 1. Sift flour into a large bowl, add salt, cinnamon, soda, and mix everything.
- Step 2. Put sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla in the mixer bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until creamy.
- Step 3. Add flour. Replace the whisk with a paddle and mix everything starting from a low speed. In the process, stop the mixer, clean the walls from the dough and mix again.
- Step 4. Add sliced canned pineapples to the bowl with the juice. Add chopped nuts and coconut flakes. Mix until smooth.
- Step 5. Spray the oil into a large cake pan with a size of at least 13 * 9 inches. Pour the dough and bake at 350 F in a preheated oven. After 50-60 minutes, check the cake for readiness. To do this, insert a toothpick in the center of the cake. It should come out dry and clean.
- Step 6. While the cake cools, prepare the icing. Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, thick whipping cream, butter, and vanilla. Beat in a mixer until smooth. For a creamier texture, I use a hand blender with a knife attachment.
- Step 7. Frost the completely cooled cake. Flatten with a silicone spatula.
- Step 8. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top and refrigerate for at least an hour to set the glaze.
Why my Preacher Cake is not fluffy?
Oil is able to hold the air that is needed to make the cake fluffy rather than dense. If the oil is not whipped enough or its amount is not enough, then no fluffiness will happen to your cake.
Also, check the temperature when baking. A cake that is baked for too long at a low temperature will be dense. An overly dense cake is obtained with excess liquid or sugar, as well as with a lack of baking powder.
Why my Preacher Cake is dry?
There are several reasons for a dry cake and you should be aware of this. The first and main reason for dry cakes is moisture-absorbing ingredients, in our case it is flour.
Pour flour into a measuring cup as much as specified in the recipe. It is necessary to pour in a measuring cup, and not scoop out a bag of flour.
When scooping, flour is pressed and in the end, you will get a larger quantity. The second, no less important reason is excessive baking. Make sure the oven temperature is set correctly.
Remember that the finished cake is slightly torn off the edge of the cake pan. So don’t forget to oil the cake pan itself. Also, the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean and dry.
- If the cake during baking has grown like a mountain, it does not matter. Just cut off the top with a knife parallel to the table so that the pie is even. This is necessary so that the icing is not glass on the sides, but remains on the surface of the cake.
- To make the glaze thicker, add powdered sugar. If you need a more fluid consistency – add thick whipped cream.
- If the mixer does not whip the icing until smooth, try to do this in a hand blender with a knife attachment.
Why my Preacher Cake didn’t rise?
To understand why your cake does not rise, pay attention to the following reasons:
- Carefully measure the amount of baking powder or baking soda. Also, check the date end. Perhaps your soda just does not work, respectively, the cake will not rise.
At home, the quality of baking soda you can check pouring a tablespoon of the product on a plate and pouring it with lemon juice or vinegar. If a reaction appears, accompanied by hissing, such a soda has retained its qualities and is suitable for use.
- Always check the readiness of baking with a toothpick inserted in the center. If the dough remains raw and you take out the cake, then the dough will fall and the cake will have a decrease in the middle.
Can you freeze Preacher Cake?
Usually, I cook this cake for a big company and it is eaten quickly and to the last crumb. But, you can freeze it. To do this, wait until the cake has completely cooled down after baking.
Then wrap it with cling film, foil, and put it in the freezer. Store up to 5-6 months. Before use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then leave for several hours at room temperature. Cover with a freshly prepared glaze and serve.
Preacher Cake Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans or walnuts, divided
- 1 cup flaked coconut (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 5 tbsp butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp thick whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, soda and mix.
- Beat eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a mixer bowl. Add the flour mixture and mix.
- Add pineapple with juice, chopped nuts, coconut flakes and mix.
- Spray a baking pan with oil, pour the dough and bake at 350 F. After an hour, check the cake for readiness by inserting a toothpick in the center.
- For the glaze, whip the butter, cream cheese, whipping cream, vanilla and powdered sugar in a mixer.
- Glaze the completely cooled cake and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Put in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Adjust the size of the pineapple slices yourself. You can leave large pieces or chop finely.
- You can use nuts to your taste - pecans, walnuts, or almonds.
- Coconut flakes I prefer to do myself. To do this, you need to buy a fresh coconut and open it. Take out all the white flesh, peel off the brown. Then grate or grind in a blender.
- The cake will rise by at least 1 cm during baking, so keep this in mind. Choose a large and deep cake pan. Or divide the dough in a flat, bake two cakes and make a two-layer cake.
- If the top of the cake is browned too quickly, cover it with a sheet of foil and continue to bake.
This cake is fantastic. Our daughter and preacher ( pastor ) husband were coming for a few days to visit, so I felt it was a good time to try out the preacher cake. At first bite it tastes like a carrot cake. It is moist and has a bit of crunch with the pecans. The cream cheese icing just tops it off…so good. The “ preacher really loved it . The rest of us loved it too!
Oh my goodness you are so kind. Thank you for coming back to leave a review!