So you’re coming home from a hard day at work, you’re tired and it’s cold. You want a hot and hearty meal waiting for you. You don’t have the energy to cook today. How about a slow cooker roast with potatoes and carrots sound? All ready and waiting for you. That is the beauty of the crockpot, you just put everything in it, turn it on and go.
When you come back 6 to 8 hours later, a great-tasting meal is ready for your enjoyment. Slow cooker pot roast with beef broth that has been simmering for hours with veggies and is so soft it melts in your mouth.
So if you know you will have a tough day ahead of you, grab a roast, some dijon mustard, garlic salt, thyme, rosemary, chop an onion, throw in some baby carrots, red potatoes, turn it on and go!
HOW TO MAKE A POT ROAST IN A SLOW COOKER?
- Step 1. Throw in the quartered potatoes and baby carrots into a 5 qt slow cooker.
- Step 2. In a small bowl, mix the Dijon mustard, garlic salt, dried rosemary, dried thyme, and crushed pepper.
- Step 3. Cut the pot roast in half and rub it with the Dijon mustard mix.
- Step 4. Put the roast inside the slow cooker and add the chopped onion on top. Pour in the beef broth and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
If you want to cook your roast in the oven, put the beef chuck into a casserole dish and bake in a 350F oven for an hour covered with foil, take it out, add the potatoes and carrots and keep on cooking it, uncovered.
The total cooking time should be about 13-15 minutes per pound for rare, 17-19 minutes for medium, and 22-25 for cooked through. If you own a meat thermometer, the internal temperature for medium-rare should be 145F or 160F for medium.
TIPS FOR COOKING THE PERFECT ROAST:
- The advantage of cooking the roast in a slow cooker is that it will always, and I mean always, be “melt in your mouth soft” when you take it out. The oven method does not always produce this soft roast.
- You have to add flavour to your roast. Hence the use of Dijon mustard and herbs. You could throw in a condensed soup of mushroom too if you want to make a sauce for it while it is cooking.
- If you want to make a gravy for your pot roast, after it finishes cooking, pour the cooking juices into a small pot, add a slurry of cornstarch and water and bring it to a boil, whisking constantly until it is thick enough for your liking.
- The best way to serve your roast is to place it in a large serving platter in the center and put the carrots and potatoes around it. Pour the gravy on top of the roast.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY;
- CHICKEN AND GRAVY
- SLOW COOKER POOR MAN’S STEW
- CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- SLOW COOKER BEEF AND POTATO AU GRATIN
- SLOW COOKER HAMBURGER HASH
- 1 lb medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots
- 1 boneless beef chuck (3 to 4 lbs)
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon crushed pepper
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- Minced fresh thyme, optional
- Throw in the quartered potatoes and baby carrots into a 5 qt slow cooker
- In a small bowl, mix the Dijon mustard, garlic salt, dried rosemary, dried thyme, and crushed pepper
- Cut the pot roast in half and rub it with the Dijon mustard mix
- Put the roast inside the slow cooker and add the chopped onion on top. Pour in the beef broth and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours