When most people think of adding vegetables to a cake, they think of carrot cake. But why not switch things up and bake this cinnamon zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting? Zucchini’s mild flavor makes it a great addition to sweet and spiced desserts.
CINNAMON ZUCCHINI CAKE
This zucchini cake without nuts and carrots uses simple ingredients you likely already have in your fridge and pantry like flour, eggs, sugar, apple sauce, vegetable oil, and cream cheese. Be sure to check out our Zucchini Carrot Oatmeal Muffins.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING?
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a large bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, sugars, and vanilla until combined
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, until just combined
- Fold in the shredded zucchini with a spatula. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- While the cake is baking, mix all the icing ingredients until fully combined. Spread the icing on the completely cooled cake and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
MAKE AHEAD INSTRUCTIONS
Both the cake and the frosting can be made up to 2 days in advance.
Bake the cake and prepare the frosting, cover, and store both in the fridge.
Allow the frosting to return to room temperature (you might need to beat it for a few minutes to soften it) then frost the cake.
CAN YOU FREEZE THE ZUCCHINI CAKE?
To freeze this zucchini cake, allow it to cool completely then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in a freezer bag.
The cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. Do not frost the cake before freezing.
Allow it to return to room temperature, frost, and serve.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Cinnamon Zucchini Cake
For the cake:
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray, and line it with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs, vegetable oil, apple sauce, sugars, and vanilla until combined.
- Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt just until combined.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini with a spatula. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, mix all the icing ingredients until fully combined. Spread the icing over the completely cooled cake, and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
Answering Your Burning Questions:
HOW CAN I ADD ZUCCHINI TO CAKE MIX?
Shredded zucchini is an easy addition to any cake, cupcake, or muffin mix. Simply follow the boxed directions exactly, and fold in 1-2 cups of shredded zucchini as the final step before baking.