Did someone say comfort food? Slow cooker beef and potato au gratin has truly become a family’s favorite in my household. Mouthwatering ground beef layered between soft russet potatoes accompanied by some delicious seasonings you can have yourself this hearty meal just in time for dinner! Of course, you may use any potatoes you have in hand.
How to make Slow Cooker Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- Step 1. In a pan, cook the beef until brown add a little salt and pepper
- Step 2. Peel the russet potatoes into slices about 1/4 inch thick and lay them on the bottom of the slow cooker
- Step 3. In a separate bowl add 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp parsley, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1 tsp salt and mix well
- Step 4. Now take half of the potato slices and add to the slow cooker, on top of this add half the onions, half of the seasoning mixture, half of the beef and half of the cheese. Repeat these layers.
- Step 5. Pour over the broth
- Step 6. Place the lid on and cook on a high setting for 4 hours
What to serve with slow cooker ground beef and potato?
You can serve slow cooker beef and potato au gratin with a nice garden salad for a flavoursome refreshing meal or even some garlic bread.
Do you need to cook ground beef before putting in the slow cooker?
You don’t need to necessarily cook your ground beef before adding to the slow cooker however it’s a good step to include as it will add more flavor beef and potato au gratin.
Why are my potatoes hard in a slow cooker?
If your potatoes have turned out hard this is probably because the potatoes have been cut too thick or you may have opened the lid during cooking.
You can try boiling the potatoes until tender before adding to the slow cooker beef and potato au gratin.
How long does ground beef take to cook in a slow cooker?
On a high setting 2-4 hours and on a low setting 4-6 hours.
How to cook frozen ground beef in a slow cooker?
No, do not use frozen ground beef in the slow cooker as there is the chance of getting seriously ill if the meat is undercooked.
TIPS FOR BAKING THE PERFECT Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- Brown the ground beef before adding to the slow cooker this adds great flavor and texture to the beef and potato au gratin
- Cut potatoes thinly to make sure they are well cooked and soft
- If you don’t have parsley you can use fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary
IF YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE, HERE ARE A FEW MORE I THINK YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE!
- AMAZING SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND GRAVY
- SLOW COOKER POOR MAN’S STEW
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- SLOW COOKER HAMBURGER HASH
Slow Cooker Beef and Potato Au Gratin
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 lbs peeled russet potatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup of chicken/beef broth
- Brown the ground beef in a pan, drain the fat then add some salt and pepper
- In a small bowl mix together the paprika, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Turn the slow cooker on to a high setting then add a layer of potatoes, onions, seasonings, ground beef, and then cheese. Repeat this
- Pour over the broth
- Put the lid on and cook for 4 hours