Who doesn’t love enchiladas? But they can take a lot of time to make it right? Not anymore with this slow cooker chicken enchilada casserole recipe, you will not be let down! Succulent chicken breasts shredded in a flavoursome enchilada sauce with oozing amounts of cheddar cheese topped with black olives this is bound to be a family favourite.
To top it off with the magical slow cooker there is next to nothing in this dishwasher leaving you more time to enjoy each others company at the dinner table.
Simply top with sour cream to cool down the fiery enchiladas and your good to go.
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Casserole;
Follow the recipe below, and make sure to read through the frequently asked questions and pro tips to bake the Best Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
- Step 1. Turn on the slow cooker and add in the chicken breasts and enchilada sauce
- Step 2. Put the lid on and cook this for 4 hours on a high setting or 8 hours on a low setting
- Step 3. Once cooked, shred the chicken using two forks. Then cut the corn tortillas into strips and add into the mixture followed by 1/2 a cup of cheese and some olives. Mix together gently then flatten out like a casserole
- Step 4. Add the rest of the cheese on top with some more olives then cook for a further 40-60 minutes on the low setting
Make sure the centre of the dish is hot and you’re ready to serve!
- Cut slits into the chicken breasts this way they will absorb more flavour
If you don’t have black olives you can use capers
- What do I eat with my slow cooker chicken enchilada casserole?
- You can eat with some Mexican/Spanish rice or if you want a more simple approach like me you add some sour cream on top and dig in! This is a perfect combo for slow cooker chicken enchilada casserole.
Can you use frozen chicken?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken for the recipe but make sure it is completely thawed out before putting in the slow cooker.
How do you reheat leftovers?
To reheat slow cooker chicken enchilada casserole safely place any leftovers in a separate container and heat in the microwave or put in an ovenproof dish and reheat in the oven. Only reheat ONCE.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND STUFFING
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND GRAVY
- SLOW COOKER POOR MAN’S STEW
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large can of enchilada sauce
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- Black olives
- Completely cover the chicken breasts in the enchilada sauce then cook in the slow cooker on high for 4hours/low for 8 hours.
- Slice the corn tortillas and keep these to one side for the next stage of the recipe.
- Now add in corn tortillas, cheese and olives and continue to cook for another 40-60 minutes.
- Once done serve with sour cream (optional)