Sloppy Joe Casserole is the best choice of meat casserole for hearty evenings in a large company.
I just adore these recipes, because with one dish I solve all the questions about what to cook. And I do not worry at all that someone will remain hungry. Why? Just imagine: juicy meat filling with a huge amount of tomato sauce and garlic flavor. And on top is a lush layer of soft cheese crust.
Mmm, are you still reading, or have you already started cooking?
What to serve with sloppy joe casserole?
The best addition to this casserole would be something light because the casserole itself already consists of meat and dough.
HOW TO MAKE SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE
Follow the simple recipe below to make this delicious Sloppy Joe Casserole from scratch.
- Step 1. Preheat oven to 400F. In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the ground beef until brown.
- Step 2. Add diced bell peppers and onions, stir, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Step 3. Add brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and dry mustard. Stir.
- Step 4. Add tomato sauce and ketchup, stir well, cover, reduce heat and simmer while doing the filling.
- Step 5. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Step 6. Add milk, melted butter, eggs, and stir until smooth.
- Step 7. Add grated cheese and stir.
- Step 8. Place the meat mixture in a large baking dish (13 “* 9”).
- Step 9. Spread the filling evenly over the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the crust, is golden brown.
BAKING TIPS FOR SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE
- You can prepare Sloppy Joe Casserole in small portion tins. Such a presentation will be beautiful and convenient in terms of serving guests.
- If you don’t have any garlic salt on hand, add a teaspoon of regular salt and a crushed clove of garlic.
How to freeze and reheat Sloppy Joe Casserole
To freeze the casserole, wait until it has completely cooled down. Then wrap the baking dish with cling film or foil and put it in the freezer.
Store for 3-4 months. Allow the casserole to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before use. Then preheat it in the oven or microwave.
OTHER CASSEROLE RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- Loaded potato ranch chicken casserole
- sour cream chicken enchilada casserole
- beef enchilada casserole
- pineapple casserole
- copycat cracker barrel hashbrown casserole
- johnny Marzetti casserole
SLOPPY JOE CASSEROLE
- 1–1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1–1/3 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1–1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Fry the ground beef in a pan until brown, add diced onion and bell pepper, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, and garlic salt. Then pour in the tomato sauce, ketchup and stir everything. Simmer covered over low heat while you cook the filling.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Pour in milk, melted butter, eggs, and stir. Pour in the grated cheese, stir.
- Place the meat mixture in a 13 "* 9" baking dish. Spread the dough filling on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a preheated oven until golden brown.
- Stir constantly with a spatula while frying the ground beef in a skillet. Break up the clumps so it is crumbly and doesn't turn into one big cutlet.
- Optionally, you can replace green bell peppers with red or yellow ones. Or even substitute by celery.
- You can substitute any hard cheese you like for cheddar.