I can never have enough chicken pasta recipes. Chicken and pasta are two of my family’s favorite dishes, so I will make any recipe I can get my hands on. It is so helpful to have so many to keep things interesting at the dinner table.
Louisiana chicken pasta is just another wonderful and easy-to-make meal. It is just as colorful as their carnival. It has red, green, and orange bell peppers, mushrooms, and tender breaded chicken breasts.
This copycat Louisiana chicken pasta cheesecake factory recipe will be very much appreciated by your loved ones. They say food enters first through the eyes, and this recipe doesn’t disappoint.
The creamy sauce is full of vibrant colors and flavors that will make your tastebuds happy. If you want to see more chicken and pasta recipes, please check out Olive Garden Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara, Asiago Tortelloni Alfredo with Grilled Chicken, Crazy Good Chicken Pasta Casserole, and White Cheddar Chicken Pasta, among others on our Blog.
What Ingredients Do You Need?
- Chicken breast halves – boneless and skinless and pounded as thinly as you can.
- Breadcrumbs – I like to use the Italian seasoned breadcrumbs to add more flavor to the chicken.
- Flour – adds another layer to the breading that sticks perfectly to the chicken.
- Milk – makes it possible to double dip the chicken breasts into the breading, thus ensuring better coating.
- Vegetable oil for frying the chicken breasts.
- Butter – is the fat of choice for sauteing veggies when making a cream sauce. You want to keep all ingredients in the same family to maintain the creamy integrity of the sauce.
- Red, green, and orange bell peppers – just because I love colorful food, and Louisiana reminds me of colorful carnival.
- Red onion and garlic – make everything taste better and are a must in most savory dishes. They enhance the flavor of all dishes.
- Mushrooms – you can use brown or white mushrooms. I chose to use white.
- Red pepper flakes – to add heat to this cajun-style meal. If you don’t have them, you can add cayenne pepper to taste.
- Whipping cream or heavy cream is used as the cream base for this dish. Do not boil the sauce after adding the cream, just a gentle simmer, or it might separate.
- Chicken broth – is also needed to create a base for the sauce. If you added only cream, the sauce would be way too thick.
- Fresh basil – adds a lot of flavors. Fresh herbs are best added at the end.
- Parmesan cheese – provides flavor as well as a thickening agent for the sauce. After adding the Parmesan and fresh basil, remove the sauce for heat.
- Bow tie pasta – is the classic signature Cheesecake Factory pasta for this dish.
How To Make Louisiana Chicken Pasta?
- We start by making the sauce. In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the red onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms until cooked through but still a bit crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for about a minute or two.
- Pour in the chicken broth and whipping cream and let it simmer gently for about 3 to 4 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, mix them into the sauce and remove from heat. Put the lid on the pan and set it aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions and make the chicken. Pound the chicken breasts between two layers of plastic wrap as thinly as you can.
- In a shallow dish, mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and flour. In another shallow dish, pour the milk. Dip each chicken breast into the breading on both sides, then into the milk, and lastly into the breading again.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat, and pan-fry the breaded chicken breasts for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
- Gently reheat the sauce and add the drained pasta. Mix to combine and cook for about 2 minutes or until the pasta and the sauce are heated through. Serve pasta on individual bowls and top with sliced breaded chicken breast and shredded Parmesan cheese.
I like to serve this meal with a fresh salad, like Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad or The Best Tossed Salad, fresh-baked like Dutch Oven No-Knead Bread and for dessert, Pineapple Dream Dessert, and Best No-Bake Cheesecake or to make it more Louisiana authentic, Funnel Cake Bites that taste a lot like New Orleans beignets.
- Add different veggies like broccoli to the sauce.
- If you don’t want to use whipping cream, try using coconut cream.
- Remove the chicken if you are vegetarian, and use Portobello mushrooms instead.
- You can use sauteed shrimp instead of chicken for a change.
Store and Reheat Instructions
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. I would store the pasta in one dish and any breaded chicken in a separate container. To reheat, pop the pasta into the microwave for about 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway.
Reheat the chicken on a separate plate in the microwave or the oven (or toaster oven) on a piece of foil if you want it to be crispy again.
- Do not boil the sauce after adding the cream, or it might separate.
- When frying the chicken, avoid doing it on high heat, or the breading might burn before the chicken is done.
- After adding the Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil, turn off the heat and mix them into the sauce.
- Do not overcook the pasta. It is always better to keep the pasta al dente.
Cheesecake Factory Louisiana Chicken Pasta
For the chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
For the sauce:
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup orange bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pint heavy or whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 - 12 oz package bow pasta
- Start by making the sauce. In a dutch oven or large saucepan, saute the red onion, red, green, and orange bell peppers and sliced mushrooms until cooked but still firm
- Add the minced garlic cloves and red pepper flakes and cook one more minute
- Pour in the chicken broth and whipping cream. Simmer for about 5 mins
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and fresh basil into the sauce and remove from heat
- Cook bow-tie pasta according to package instructions and make the chicken. Pound the chicken breast halves as thin as you can
- In a shallow dish, mix the breadcrumbs, flour, and Parmesan cheese, and in another shallow dish, pour the milk. Dip the chicken first in the breadcrumbs on both sides, then into the milk, and then into the breadcrumbs again
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and pan-fry the breaded chicken breasts until golden brown and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Reheat the sauce and add the drained pasta. Mix and cook until everything is well heated through. Serve in individual bowls and top with a sliced chicken breast and shredded Parmesan cheese
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can You Freeze Louisiana Chicken Pasta?
I wouldn’t recommend freezing this dish. Pasta with cream sauces become soggy when thawed, and the cream in the sauce separates.
- What kind of pasta to use for Louisiana chicken pasta?
You can use your favorite short-shaped pasta, but the original recipe calls for bow tie pasta.
- What kind of chicken to use for Louisiana chicken pasta?
It is generally made with skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, but if you are a dark meat lover, by all means, use skinless, boneless chicken thighs.