This, the Best Fried Chicken and Bacon Pasta Casserole, is the perfect hearty dinner! It also gives you a great reason to clean out the fridge because you can add any leftover meat and veggies you like. Cheesy Chicken Pasta Bake is another great one!
This dish can be prepared in advance and baked just before serving. Everything is good here: spirals in a creamy sauce, chicken bites, crispy bacon, fresh tomato, green onion for brightness and freshness, and a lot of cheese!
Ingredients (with Alternative Suggestions)
- Chicken breasts – boneless and skinless, cut into pieces.
- Bacon – Use thin slices to fry quickly and easily in a pan and then crumble them.
- Cream of chicken soup is the base of the sauce.
- Cheddar cheese – you can use your favorite cheese or a mix of several.
- Dried spiral pasta – you can substitute another type of short pasta.
- Garlic powder – adds great flavor.
- Tomato and green onion – add freshness and brightness.
How To Make Chicken Pasta Casserole?
In a skillet, fry the bacon slices, then crumble or cut them into small pieces. Set aside
Cut all chicken breasts into bites and fry in the same skillet until golden brown. (Add some vegetable oil if needed). Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
Cook the pasta in salted boiling water, according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot.
- Add fried chicken, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, and chopped tomatoes to the pasta, and stir. Add half of the grated cheese and mix until combined.
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray and pour the entire contents of the pan into it.
- Sprinkle bacon and leftover cheese on top. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the cheese melts or begins to bubble.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions on top and serve.
What Can I Serve With A Chicken Casserole?
Any vegetables will be an excellent accompaniment to a chicken casserole with cream of chicken soup. You can serve it with Sauteed Zucchini with Parmesan, Candied Carrots, or Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
Can I Make This Ahead Of Time?
Yes. After placing the casserole in the baking dish, sprinkle it with bacon and wrap it with cling film. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 400 F, sprinkle the casserole with cheese, and bake for 20 minutes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can You Freeze Chicken Pasta Casserole?
Let the cooked casserole cool down, then wrap the baking dish in foil and plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Defrost overnight, and to make sure it heats all the way through, place the casserole in the oven while it preheats.
Do You Cook Chicken Before Putting It In Casserole?
Yes, the chicken must be fully cooked before adding to the casserole.
I prefer to fry the pieces in a skillet, but you can boil the chicken breasts and then cut them into pieces.
Can I Use A Different Shape Of Pasta?
You can use any short pasta: Cavatappi, Fusilli, Macaroni, Rigatoni, or Penne.
Storage & Re-heating Instructions:
Shelf life in a refrigerator in an airtight container is no more than 4 days.
You can reheat a large batch of casserole in the oven at 350F. Or you can heat a small portion in a frying pan over low heat by adding 1-2 tablespoons of water and covering it with a lid.
Favorite Chicken Casseroles
- Paula Deen’s Chicken Casserole
- Healthier Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole With Potatoes
Crazy Good Chicken Casserole
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (16-ounce) box dried spiral pasta
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large fresh Roma tomato
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- sliced green onion for serving
- Fry the bacon in a skillet and crumble it. Set it aside
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces and fry them in the same skillet. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions and drain. Return the pasta to the pot and add the cooked chicken, 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, chopped tomato, and half of the shredded cheese. Stir until combined.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Sprinkle with bacon and leftover cheese. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
- You can use any pasta in this casserole. Cook it al dente as it will continue to cook in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Almost all ingredients are interchangeable here. For example, instead of tomatoes, you can use corn or peas. Just toss them in boiling pasta 5 minutes before you drain it.