Creamy chicken casserole is a very tender casserole with creamy sauce and lots of cheese. The sauce contains sour cream and milk, and this gives the whole casserole a special creamy texture.
I used to think that the casserole is just pasta with something meaty. But now having cooked them at least 100 times, I can write a whole guide to casseroles.
Without a shadow of a doubt, I will say that creamy chicken casserole is at my top.
Chicken and pasta are generously sprinkled with cheese and cream sauce. And red pepper flakes add a special aroma and piquancy to the dish. This is really delicious!
How to make Paula Deen’s Amazing Chicken Casserole?
Follow the simple recipe below to make this delicious chicken casserole from scratch.
- Step 1. preheat oven to 350 F, oil a baking dish (9 “* 13”). Prepare pasta (boil, drain) and chicken (boil, cut into cubes).
Preheat a frying pan, melt the butter in it. Add the onion and garlic, fry for about 5 minutes until the onion is transparent.
- Step 2. Add flour, mix thoroughly and cook over low heat for 1 minute while continuing to stir.
- Step 3. Add sour cream and milk, continue stirring using a whisk to prevent lumps from forming. Cook over low heat until thickened.
- Step 4. Add 2-2.5 cups of grated cheese and stir.
- Step 5. Add chicken, pasta, salt, red pepper flakes, and mix.
- Step 6. Place everything in a prepared baking dish and tamp a little.
- Step 7. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place the casserole in the oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese melts and begins to bubble.
- For more flavor, you can add finely chopped tomatoes or hot chili to the casserole.
- You can use one or more types of cheese as you wish.
What to serve with a creamy chicken casserole?
Any vegetable salads or baked vegetables will work very well with this casserole recipe. Try these recipes: Candied Carrots, Shrimp pasta salad, Roasted red pepper rigatoni, Roasted potatoes, and carrots!
Can you reheat creamy chicken casserole?
Sure! There are several ways to do this.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of water into a skillet, put a casserole there, cover and heat over low heat.
- Preheat in the microwave.
- Preheat in the oven at 350F for 10 minutes.
In any of the options, you can additionally add grated cheese on top.
Can you freeze creamy chicken casserole?
Yes, to freeze the casserole, wait until it has completely cooled down.
Cover it with foil, or place it in a container with an airtight lid. Place in the freezer and store for 2-3 months.
Defrost the casserole in the refrigerator overnight before use, then reheat.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Paula Deen’s Amazing Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups chicken, cooked, cut in small bite-sized pieces (U can use our guide: How to Cook Shredded Chicken)
- 4 cups pasta, cooked and drained (approximately 2 cups uncooked); penne, cavatappi, or rigatoni works well
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups cheese, grated (cheddar, Colby jack, Swiss, or a combination), with 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling on top
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Fry the onion and garlic in butter. Add flour, stir, cook for no more than 1 minute.
- Add milk and sour cream, whisk and cook until thick. Then add the cheese and stir again.
- Add chicken, pasta, salt, red pepper flakes. Toss and place in a prepared baking dish (9 * 13 inches). Bake in preheated to 350 F oven for 20-30 minutes or until cheese starts bubbling.