Funnel cake bites are a perfect choice for parties, family gatherings, and kid’s birthdays. Also, these small puffs are great snack options for your movie night menu or can be a perfect on-the-go dessert.
If you are looking for a quick and easy recipe, then you are in the right place. You can easily make funnel cake bites at home in just 20 minutes. Of course, you can try them plain or sprinkled with powdered sugar. But I assure you without any doubt, that funnel cake bites become even more mouthwatering when you serve these puffs with some delicious dipping sauce.
What are funnel cake bites?
Do you know how traditional funnel cake tastes like? Funnel cake bites are bite-sized funnel cakes. They are made of the same batter as the funnel cake. But the batter for funnel cake bites is frying in small batches and not piping into the oil in a circular motion. So, funnel cake bites are a super tasty twist from the regular funnel cake recipe. I assure you that these small puffs are as delicious as well-known funnel cake.
How do you make funnel cakes without a funnel?
Don’t worry if you don’t have a funnel. You can easily make funnel cakes without a funnel. There are several tricks that will help you. You may transfer the batter to a cream syringe, piping bag, or even ziplock and cut out the tip. You can also use a liquid measuring cup or squeeze bottle to pour the batter into the oil. Funnel cake bites batter can be scooped with a spoon or mini ice cream scoop.
☞ How do you keep a funnel cake warm?
The best way to enjoy the perfect funnel cake is to eat it immediately. But if you want to share this delicious dessert with someone else, you may want to keep fried funnel cakes warm while you are finishing cooking. Heat the warming drawer, if you have one, or oven to 200 F and transfer your finished funnel cakes there to keep the batches warm until ready to serve.
☞ What toppings can you put on funnel cakes?
The most popular way to serve funnel cakes is to sift them with powdered sugar. But you can step away from traditions and sprinkle your treat with cinnamon, drizzle with melted chocolate or caramel sauce. A good idea is to accomplish your funnel cake bites with dipping sauce. Choose your most favorite dip and enjoy it. Here are some ideas for dips: marshmallow dip, whipped cream or yogurt dip, Nutella dip, lemon glaze dip, chocolate fudge sauce, or honey. Don’t be afraid of experiments!
☞ way to make funnel cake bites
Funnel cake bites recipe is a super easy dessert for any home cook. You’ll need all-purpose flour, milk, butter, sugar, egg, baking powder, vanilla extract, salt, and vegetable oil. Make the batter, heat the oil, scoop the batter, and drop into the hot oil. Fry and enjoy it! By the way, you may use a pancake mix to cook a funnel cake bites. Make the batter according to package instructions and fry it in the same way as homemade funnel cake bites batter.
How to make funnel cake bites from scratch:
- Step 1 Prepare a large bowl. To the bowl add an egg, milk, vegetable oil, melted butter, sugar, and pure vanilla extract. Beat together until homogeneous.
- Step 2 Sift the flour. Sifting will aerate your flour. Sifted flour is much lighter than unsifted and it will be easier to mix it with other ingredients when making the batter. Make sure to eliminate any lumps, solids, or impurities it may contain. Gradually add sifted flour to the bowl with wet ingredients. Add baking powder and salt as well. Whisk well until the batter becomes smooth and has no clumps.
- Step 3 Pour vegetable oil into a pot or a skillet, add enough oil to make it roughly 1-inch deep. Heat it over medium heat until oil reaches 350 F. Scoop the batter out with mini ice cream scoop and drop into the oil. You can also use a cream syringe, or piping bag, or ziplock with cut out the tip or funnel to pour the batter. Fry bites for a minute on each side, or until lightly golden. Continue with the remaining batter.
- Step 4 Line a plate with paper towels. When the bites are cooked, remove them from a pan and transfer to a lined plate. Let paper towels absorb the excess oil from your bites.
- Step 5 Place your funnel cake bites on a serving plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately with your favorite dip.
- Step 6 (optional) If you want to serve your funnel cake bites with some dipping sauces, all you need is to combine all ingredients for the desired dip in a bowl and mix until smooth.
Baking Tips For FUNNEL CAKE BITES
- You may use part-skim milk, almond, or soya milk if you want to prepare funnel cake bites.
- You can choose any dip you love. It may be the mix of pureed fruits or berries with yogurt, whipped cream or cream cheese, melted chocolate, caramel sauce, condensed milk, maple syrup, or golden cane syrup. Just choose what you love most.
☞ Can funnel cake batter be refrigerated?
Yes! You may prepare the batter ahead and fry just before serving. Funnel cake batter can be refrigerated and will survive in an airtight container up to 5 days. Remember that you can refrigerate only the batter, but not fried funnel cake bites themselves. These bites are best eaten right away after cooking!
FUNNEL CAKE BITES
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar (for serving)
For dips (optional):
- Strawberry cream dip:
- ½ cup whipped cream
- 4 mashed strawberries
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Cinnamon roll glase dip:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp milk
Birthday cake dip:
- ¼ cup yellow cake mix
- ¼ cup vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup whipped cream
- In a large bowl whisk egg, melted butter, oil, milk, sugar, and pure vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually add sifted flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk well until the batter become homogeneous.
- Heat a pot or a skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to make it roughly 1-inch deep. When the oil gets hot, scoop the batter out with mini ice cream scoop and drop into the oil. Cook for a minute on each side, or until lightly golden and continue with the remaining batter.
- When cooked, take the bites out of the pan and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately with your favorite dip (optional).
Dipping sauces (optional):
- In a bowl combine all ingredients for the desired dip and mix until smooth.
- Feel free to double the ingredients if you want to make more funnel cake bites.
- We recommend to fry funnel cake bites in the oil heated to 350 F. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can make a simple test to check the temperature of the oil: just drop a bit of batter into the oil, if the batter fries calmly - the oil has the right temperature if it smokes or browns quickly - the oil is too hot.