This Bang Bang Chicken recipe will certainly become your favorite. Soft and juicy chicken in a crispy batter served with moderately spicy sauce. Cooking in the oven facilitates the process compared to deep-fried cooking. It is also a healthier cooking option.
Why is it called Bang Bang Chicken?
Bang Bang Chicken or Bon Bon Chicken is a Chinese dish that appeared a very long time ago.
The traditional way of cooking appeared at a time when cooks needed to optimize and speed up the process of cooking chicken.
They noticed that beating chicken meat with a stick or a hammer, divide it into pieces and facilitates its preparation. Specifically, this recipe is an American adapted version.
How to cook bang bang chicken?
Follow the recipe below, and make sure to read through the frequently asked questions and pro tips to bake the Best Baked Bang Bang Chicken.
- Step 1. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sriracha sauce, sugar, vinegar. Stir until smooth and set aside. Cover the bowl with cling film to prevent the sauce from airing.
- Step 2. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, salt, and ground pepper. Whisk.
- Step 3. Cut the chicken breasts into small pieces, about 1 inch.
- Step 4. In a separate bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, onion, and garlic powder.
- Step 5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cover it with a sheet of parchment or foil and spray the oil on top.
- Step 6. Pour a cup of flour into the chicken and mix well so that the chicken pieces are completely covered. You can do it quickly and easily by placing the chicken and flour in a sturdy bag. Tie the bag tightly and shake until all chicken is covered with a layer of flour. Transfer the chicken back to the bowl.
- Step 7. Next to the chicken, place two bowls, with eggs and breadcrumbs. Work with both hands. With one hand, take a piece of chicken, deepen in the egg mixture and transfer to breadcrumbs. With your other dry hand, roll the chicken in breadcrumbs and place on a baking sheet.
- Step 8. Spray oil over all chicken pieces for 2 seconds and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. If the chicken is not sufficiently browned, spray a little more oil and bake to the desired color. But do not overdo it with the baking time, otherwise, the chicken will be too dry.
- Step 9. Put the finished chicken on a plate, pour the prepared sauce, and serve.
What to serve with bang bang chicken?
Given that this is oriental cuisine, then the accompanying food should be appropriate. Serve it with:
– Wheat, egg, or rice noodles in peanut sauce
– Fried or smoked tofu
What sauce is in bang bang chicken?
Traditionally, bang bang chicken is served with a sauce of mayonnaise, spicy sriracha, sugar, and vinegar. Just mix all the ingredients. You can adjust the amount of sriracha depending on your love of spicy foods. You can also replace it with your favorite hot sauce.
Can you freeze bang bang chicken?
Of course, I can’t forbid you. But I sincerely do not recommend doing this. After freezing and subsequent thawing, the crisp loses its crunch and becomes soft. Texture and taste will be lost.
Thus, enjoy freshly prepared Bang Bang Chicken or keep it in the refrigerator for about 3 days. You can heat it in the oven or in a pan with the addition of a small amount of oil.
- If desired, you can replace sriracha with any hot sauce. Or, you can serve it with another favorite sauce.
- If you do not have spray oil, use a brush. Dip the cooking brush in the oil and spray it with shaking on top of the chicken. After 10-15 minutes from the start of cooking, remove the chicken from the oven. Breadcrumbs during this time will have time to fry and create a shell around the chicken pieces. Dip the brush into the oil and coat each piece. Work quickly so that the chicken does not have time to cool. Then put the baking sheet back into the oven until the chicken is completely cooked.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Baked Bang Bang Chicken
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegetable oil spray
- Prepare the sauce: mix mayonnaise, sriracha, sugar, and vinegar.
- Beat eggs, salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken breasts into pieces.
- Combine breadcrumbs, onion ,and garlic powder.
- Preheat the oven to 375, cover the pan with parchment or foil, spray with oil.
- Pour a cup of flour to the chicken and mix until it is completely covered.
- Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, then in the breadcrumbs, and spread on a baking sheet.
- Spray the oil over the chicken and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour the finished chicken into the sauce and serve.
- Cover the bowl with cling film to prevent the sauce from airing.
- You can cut the chicken into small or large pieces. Just keep in mind that the cooking time of the chicken will change.
- Easily and quickly mix chicken with flour by stacking them in a durable bag or zip-lock bag. Close it tightly and shake until the chicken is completely covered with flour.
- It will be more convenient to cover the chicken by working with both hands. With one hand, deepen the chicken in the egg mixture and transfer to breadcrumbs. With your other clean hand, roll the chicken in breadcrumbs and place on a baking sheet.
- If the chicken is not browned enough after 25 minutes of baking, sprinkle it with a little more oil and bake until the desired color. But not too long, otherwise the chicken will be dry.
Don’t lose this recipe? Take a second to PIN IT