Growing up, black beans were a staple at my house. We ate them many different ways and one of them was black bean soup. It was always the first course, because, for my mother, the most important part of the meal was always the meat.
Times have changed and people see the benefits of eating less meat every day. This is an easy vegan black bean soup version that we can all enjoy, whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or not.
With lots of delicious veggies like carrots, celery, onion, corn, tomatoes, and of course the star of the dish, black beans, this delicious concoction will have you asking for seconds.
HOW DO YOU MAKE BLACK BEAN SOUP FROM SCRATCH?
Follow the recipe below, and make sure to read through the frequently asked questions and pro tips to bake the Best Vegan black bean soup.
- Step 1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil and saute onion, celery, carrots, and garlic for approx 5 minutes or until veggies start to soften up.
- Step 2. Add cumin powder and chili powder, stir and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Step 3. Mix in 2 cans of beans and the can of whole kernel corn and the vegetable broth.
- Step 4. In a blender, blend the remaining two cans of beans and the tomatoes until smooth and add to the soup.
- Step 5. Simmer the soup for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. Serve.
HOW LONG DOES BLACK VEGAN BLACK SOUP LAST?
You can refrigerate the cooled down soup for up to 4 days, or you can freeze it in gallon-sized freezer bags for up to 4 months.
WHAT SIDES GO WITH BLACK BEAN SOUP
This is a complete meal if you are keeping it vegan or vegetarian. I would only add avocados, a slice of good crusty bread, a heaping spoon of sour cream, or chopped cilantro on top.
DO YOU DRAIN BLACK BEANS FOR SOUP?
No, you don’t have to drain the beans. The liquid in the beans actually works in your favor binding the ingredients. It makes for a nice base broth.
- Remember to cook your spices. When you add them to the sauteed veggies, cook them for a couple of minutes. This makes them fragrant and releases all their flavor. It’s not the same just to add them to the liquid.
- Don’t rush your soup. Do not cook it on high heat for a shorter period of time. Simmering does bring out a greater flavor in soups.
- Chop the veggies to your desired size and try to make them all the same. It makes for an even spoonful. That way you can have everything in one bite.
- Topping the soup with fresh cilantro gives it another layer of flavor. I highly recommend it.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME, SOUP RECIPES
- TOMATO HAMBURGER VEGETABLE SOUP
- CHEESY CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- COMFORTING HAM AND POTATO SOUP
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP WITH ORZO
- AUTHENTIC CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Easy Vegan Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 (15 oz) cans of black beans
- 1 (15oz) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (14.5oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and saute onion, celery, carrots, and garlic for approx 5 minutes or until veggies start to soften up.
- Add cumin powder and chili powder, stir and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant
- Mix in 2 cans of beans and the can of whole kernel corn and the vegetable broth
- In a blender, blend the remaining two cans of beans and the tomatoes until smooth and add to the soup.
- Simmer the soup for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. Serve.