Ham and Potato Soup is so easy to make! This is a very hearty, thick, tender, and creamy soup. Ideal for a hearty meal for the whole family.
You will need no more than 30 minutes to prepare this soup. It contains ham, potatoes, celery, onions, and a roux sauce made from milk, butter, and flour. Believe me, no one will refuse such a dinner, even the biggest fastidious will be satisfied.
How to make Ham and Potato Soup
- Step 1. Dice the peeled potatoes, onions, celery, and ham. Place everything in a large pot.
- Step 2. Add 4 cups of chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Step 3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter, add flour and stir well until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly over low heat for about 1 minute.
- Step 4. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly with a whisk to prevent lumps from forming. Cook, stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens.
- Step 5. Pour sauce in a pot with soup, stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and serve. Decorate with herbs if desired.
TIPS FOR BAKING THE PERFECT Ham and Potato Soup
- If you don’t like honey ham, use regular ham.
- Ham can also be replaced with chicken fillet pieces or smoked sausages.
What to serve with ham and potato soup?
Ham and Potato Soup FAQs;
How do you thicken ham and potato soup?
Ham and Potato Soup thicken with roux sauce. It is a mixture of flour, butter, and milk. The thick sauce is poured into the soup, thanks to which the soup acquires a thick texture, milky creamy color, and delicate taste.
Are Gold potatoes good for ham and potato soup?
The flesh of the golden potato is firm and moist with medium starch content. This makes it versatile for use in soups, as they break down easily when cooked and help the soup get a thicker texture.
Should I boil potatoes before adding to soup?
Do not boil potatoes beforehand. Just put it in a pot of raw vegetables and ham and boil it. If you already have boiled potatoes, cook the vegetables separately. You can sauté them until soft and then combine with cooked potatoes and ham.
Can you freeze ham and potato soup?
To freeze the soup, wait until it has completely cooled down and poured it into a container with an airtight lid. Store in the freezer for up to 3-4 months. True, I do not really like the texture of the potatoes after defrosting, so I would not freeze this soup.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME, SOUP RECIPES
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP WITH ORZO
- ROASTED TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- AUTHENTIC CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- POTATO KIELBASA SOUP
- BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP ( BETTER THAN PANERA )
Comforting Ham and Potato Soup
- 3 1/2 cups (about 2 large) russet potatoes, peeled and diced mediu
- 1 1/2 cups (9oz) cooked honey (or regular) ham, diced medium
- 1/2 cup celery diced small
- 1/2 cup onion diced small
- 4 cups (2 15oz cans) chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon (44g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, (any percentage)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place diced potatoes, onions, celery and ham in a pot, cover with broth and cook for 10-15 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add flour, mix thoroughly and cook for 1 minute. Pour in milk slowly and cook for 5 minutes until thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk so that no lumps form.
- Pour the sauce into the soup, stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve.
- Cook the roux sauce in a thick-walled saucepan over low heat and stirring constantly. For convenience, use a silicone spatula to scrape off sauce that has stuck to the bottom and sides, and a whisk to stir and break up any lumps.
- When reheating the soup, stir well to prevent the soup from burning to the bottom.