Paula Deen’s recipes are all amazing. She’s an expert in making great-tasting food easy and fast. Now that fall is upon us, soups are the way to go, and this Paula Deen potato soup is one of my favorites. It’s a crockpot potato soup with hash browns, so there’s no peeling and dicing involved.
Potato Soup Ingredients
- Frozen hash brown potatoes: no need to mess with prepping the potatoes. Just buy hash browns. They are already peeled and diced to perfection.
- Chicken broth: instead of using water, use chicken broth. It has a lot of flavors and adds more nutritional value than adding water.
- Condensed cream of chicken soup: this is where most of the flavor of the soup comes from. It is a lifesaver.
- Onion: finely chop it, so you don’t get a big chunk of onion
- Red and green bell pepper: potato soup is not a very colorful soup, but these give it a gorgeous splash of color and great flavor.
- Cream cheese is the ingredient responsible for the creamy texture of this soup. 4 oz is half of a regular brick of cream cheese.
- Bay leaves are the perfect herb for soups and stews. It imparts great flavor and can be quickly taken out when the soup is ready.
How To Make Crockpot Potato Soup
- Into the pot of your slow cooker, add the frozen hash brown potatoes, finely chopped onion, and chopped red and green bell peppers. Be careful not to add any bell pepper seeds.
- Pour in the chicken broth. If you want to add more protein to the soup, use chicken bone broth. It is equally good, and every cup has 9 grams of protein. This makes the soup a more balanced meal.
- Mix in the condensed cream of chicken soup (undiluted), salt and freshly ground pepper, and the bay leaves. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- One hour before the cooking time is over, take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator to make it soft, and for 30 minutes, mix it into the soup.
What To Serve with Potato Soup
If we are in the mood for meat, my husband is the first to ask for Marinated and Grilled Flank Steak, while the kids and I prefer the tangy taste of Cracker Barrel Meatloaf. The only thing we all agree on is dessert is Pecan Pie Cheesecake!
- Condensed cream of chicken packs a lot of flavors, but check on the seasoning and add salt accordingly.
- Try to chop the bell peppers all roughly the same size. This not only looks pretty, but it ensures they all cook correctly.
- If you don’t mind the extra calories and like extra creamy soup, add the whole 8oz cream cheese brick.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Homemade Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Black-eyed Pea Soup
Paula Deen’s Crockpot Potato Soup
- 1- 30 oz bag of frozen hash brown potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1- 10.75 oz can of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, and crumbled cooked bacon for garnish (optional)
- Add the hash brown potatoes, chopped onion, and chopped green and red bell peppers into the pot of your slow cooker
- Pour in the chicken broth
- Mix in the condensed cream of chicken soup, bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Cook on low for 6 hours
- 30 minutes before cook time is over, stir in the softened cream cheese and continue cooking for the remaining time
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best way to reheat potato soup?
By far, the easiest is to microwave it. Heat it for one minute, take it out, stir it, and microwave it for another minute on high.
If you want to reheat it on the stovetop, just put it into a pot and reheat it on medium heat until it is hot enough. I like mine boiling.
Using the oven is not the most common or efficient way to do it, but if it’s your only option, preheat it to 350F, place soup in a Dutch oven or oven-safe dish, and bake it for 20 minutes.