Winter is coming fast and with its soup season! If you really want a hearty soup that can warm you up as well as fill you up, this is the soup for you. This is an almost no-prep, put everything in a pot and let it cook by its own recipe.
Delicious and fragrant, just what your body needs in these cold winter months. I’ve made it very easy by using all canned veggies, so no soaking or cutting is required.
All you need is a can opener. But don’t be fooled, this soup has all the homemade flavor your family craves and deserves.
Ground beef and smoked sausage are added to make this soup a complete and flavorful meal.
HOW TO MAKE BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP
- Step 1. In a dutch oven, cook chopped onion with ground beef until meat is fully cooked
- Step 2. Add the sliced sausage to the pot
- Step 3. Next, put in the diced tomatoes, diced tomatoes with green chilies and green chilies to pot
- Step 4. Drained black-eyed peas go in next
- Step 5. Lastly, add water and all other ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer for 45 minutes, covered.
DO BLACK-EYED PEAS NEED TO BE SOAKED BEFORE COOKING?
You can use black-eyed peas without soaking them before, but your cooking time will be longer. In this recipe, to avoid that, I use cooked canned black-eyed peas.
However, you can “quick soak” black-eyed peas by putting them in a pot and covering them with water plus one inch, bring them to a boil, cook for 5 mins, take them off the heat and let them stand a couple of hours. After that time, drain and use in your recipes.
HOW MANY CALORIES IN BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP?
Each serving of Black-eyed pea soup has 416 calories
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP
I serve black-eyed pea soup to my family with a big loaf of crusty warm bread.
I think that is all these soup needs. It is a complete meal in itself. Fulfilling and hearty, bread is all it really needs!
CAN YOU FREEZE BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP?
Yes, you certainly can. In fact, I make a double batch of black-eyed pea soup every time, let it cool and freeze half for those lazy days when I don’t want to cook, or simply don’t have the time.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- CRACK CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- TOMATO HAMBURGER VEGETABLE SOUP
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SOUP
- CHEESY CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- COMFORTING HAM AND POTATO SOUP
- POTATO KIELBASA SOUP
Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage (I used Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cups of water
- 3 15oz cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (I used ROTEL)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 4oz can chopped green chiles (I use ROTEL)
- 4 tsp molasses
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- In a dutch oven, cook chopped onion with ground beef until meat is fully cooked
- Add sliced sausage to pot
- Next, put in the diced tomatoes, diced tomatoes with green chilies and green chilies to pot
- Drained black-eyed peas go in next
- Lastly, add water and all other ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer for 45 minutes, covered.