Are you looking for some new meal ideas? Then look no further! This effortless yet delicious slow cooker beef stew is warm and packed full of flavor. Rich beef with plenty of seasoning and chunky veg, it’s the ultimate comfort food oozing amounts of gravy.
Dinner couldn’t be easier! Pair this dish with some garden salad or freshly baked garlic bread and your taste buds will be going crazy I assure you.
How to make Slow Cooker Beef Stew?
Follow the simple recipe below to make this delicious Beef Stew from scratch.
- Step 1. Cut beef into chunks then season the beef with salt and pepper and cook in a skillet to brown – leave to one side for later
- Step 2. Cook the onions in the same pan
- Step 3. Now to the slow cooker add the cooked onion, carrots, potatoes, broth, bay leaf, thyme, tomato paste, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce and give everything a good mix
- Step 4. Add in the beef chunks from earlier and cook on a low setting for 7 hours
- Step 5. Combine the butter and flour then add this to the stew to cook for another hour.
Can you freeze slow-cooker beef stew?
Yes, you can. This slow cooker beef stew is suitable to freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
Baking Tips For Slow Cooker Beef Stew;
- If you don’t prefer flour to thicken the gravy you can mash a few of the potatoes, they will go into the gravy and thicken it naturally
- To make the perfect slow cooker beef stew add some parsley to enhance flavor just before serving
Looking for more Slow Cooker Recipes?
- AMAZING SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND GRAVY
- SLOW COOKER POOR MAN’S STEW
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
- SLOW COOKER BEEF AND POTATO AU GRATIN
- SLOW COOKER HAMBURGER HASH
Ultimate Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 3 -ound chuck roast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 Yukon potatoes chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- Preheat the slow cooker on a high setting
- Season the beef with salt and pepper
- Place into a skillet and let it brown for 4-6 minutes
- Take it out and leave it to one side
- Add in the onions to the same skillet and cook for 3 minutes stirring gently
- Now to the slow cooker add the carrots, potatoes, broth, bay leaf, thyme, tomato paste, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce
- Cut the beef into chunks and place back into the slow cooker
- Give everything a good mix and cook on low for 7 hours
- In a separate bowl combine the butter and flour and add to the stew
- Cook for another hour
Answering Your Burning Questions:
How long does it take to cook slow-cooker beef stew?
The cooking time is 7-8 hours. You can prep the day before by browning the meat and chopping the veg if you don’t have much time this will help speed up the cooking process.
Can you reheat slow cooker beef stew in a slow cooker?
I wouldn’t recommend reheating any food again in the slow cooker. For the slow cooker beef stew please reheat safely on the stovetop or in the oven, and allow it to come to a simmer for approx 35-40 minutes.
It says to cook on high for 7 hours. Is that a misprint. I use my slow cooker a lot, and have only ever used low setting for anything that calles for 7 or 8 hours cooking time.
Ashley - 100krecipes
Yes. I am sorry! 4 hours on high or 7-8 on low!