My husband and I like Chinese cuisine so much. Even if we travel the world, we are looking for a Chinese restaurant in every country. I really like to order Hunan chicken in Chinese restaurants. It is light and spicy.
What is Hunan chicken?
Hunan chicken is an amazingly healthy and spicy Chinese dish. It consists of chicken breasts, veggies (broccoli florets, celery, bell pepper, baby corn), and Hunan sauce.
Do you want to cook Hunan chicken-like in Chinese restaurants? Me too!
This time I decided to cook Hunan chicken at home, and yes, it came out very tasty. By the way, when I ate this dish in restaurants, it seemed to be incredibly difficult to prepare, but when I found a few recipes,
I realized that Hunan chicken ingredients are available in every supermarket, and the recipe is incredibly simple and quick.
I like to cook Hunan chicken for dinner. If there are leftovers, I’ll take them with me to work for lunch. The dish remains fresh and delicious the next day.
Do you also want to cook it for dinner and surprise your friends?
You just need to chop all the ingredients and follow the instructions to prepare this juicy and spicy dish. Your friends will be surprised by the homemade Hunan chicken.
What is the difference between Hunan chicken and Szechuan chicken?
Of course, these dishes hail from different provinces. Szechuan Chicken from Szechuan province, Hunan chicken from Hunan province. These are two completely different dishes with different tastes, ingredients, and cooking methods. Hunan chicken is easier to cook.
Is Hunan chicken spicy?
Yes, it is spicy. But you can add more or less chili paste if you want.
How do you make Chinese Hunan chicken?
You will have the same tasty Hunan chicken as in China, just follow the recipe below.
What is Hunan chicken made of?
Hunan chicken made of chicken breasts, veggies, spices, and Hunan sauce.
Does Hunan chicken have vegetables?
Sure. There are broccoli florets, celery, bell pepper, and baby corn.
Preparation tips and tricks:
- Make sure the chicken slices are completely covered with cornstarch. Cook only in a single layer.
- Otherwise, you won’t get a crispy chicken.
- Add as much chili paste as you like.
HOW TO MAKE HUNAN CHICKEN
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- - 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts;
- - 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided;
- - 2 tbsp vegetable oil;
- - salt and pepper to taste;
- - 1 cup broccoli florets;
- - 1/2 cup celery, sliced;
- - 1 red bell pepper, diced
- - 1 cup canned baby corn, drained and halved
- - 1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced;
- - 1/2 cup chicken broth;
- - 2 tbsp soy sauce;
- - 2 tbsp oyster sauce;
- - 2 tsp rice vinegar;
- - 1 tsp honey;
- - 2 tsp chili paste.
- Thinly slice the chicken breasts. Then, transfer to a plastic bag and add ¼ cup of corn starch. Close the bag and shake to mix well.
- Mix together chicken broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, honey, chilli paste and 2 tbsp cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil and add sliced chicken in a single layer. If chicken slices don't fit in one layer, divide it into several batches for cooking. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until brown on each side. When chicken is cooked, transfer to the paper towel.
- Add veggies (broccoli florets, celery, bell pepper) to the skillet. Saute until tender (4-5 mins). Season with salt and pepper. Add baby corn halves and garlic. Saute for 1 min.
- Then, add cooked chicken slices and sauce to the veggies. Simmer for 2-3 mins or until thickened. Serve when warm.
Don’t lose this recipe? Take a second to PIN IT