French onion casserole is an easy and hearty casserole filled with ground beef, onions, French onion dip, cream of mushroom soup, noodles, and is great for a busy weeknight dinner.
The delicious flavor of ground beef perfectly combines with the rich french onion and a touch of creamy noodles. This is super yummy, easy, and budget-friendly, comfort food that can be prepared in less than an hour.
French onion casserole
Maybe you could remember your grandmother made a similar casserole when you were knee-high to a tadpole. This one is even more flavorful!
I’m sure you’ll love French onion casserole and it will bring you warm memories. Our casserole recipe is also a great choice if you are waiting for guests or making a family gathering.
You won’t spend much time cooking and will get a flavourful dish without any effort.
I think that hearty casseroles are a must, and this French onion casserole has all chances to become a new regular meal at your house. So simple ingredients and such a great result with a unique depth of flavor!
How to make French onion casserole
- Step 1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease your 9×13-inch baking dish with oil or melted butter. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook spiral egg noodles according to the package directions. Drain the noodles well.
- Step 2. Cook ground beef in a frying pan over medium heat. Crumble the meat as you add it to the pan. Stir it early and often, breaking up clumps with your spoon. Fry for 5-7 minutes or until just beginning to brown and no longer pink. Drain any grease.
- Step 3. Pour cream of mushroom soup and French onion dip into the frying pan and stir well. When the meaty sauce is combined, add drained spiral egg noodles to the mixture and fold gently.
- Step 4. Transfer saucy noodle mixture to the greased baking dish and sprinkle French fried onion all over the top. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Divide between plates, sprinkle with some finely chopped parsley and serve warm with some grilled or steamed vegetables or spring salad if you want.
☞ What to serve with French Onion Beef Casserole?
This French Onion Beef Casserole will win your heart. So, you can easily eat it on its own or served sprinkled with some more French onions or a spoonful or Shredded Chicken.
But I usually serve it with Amish Broccoli and a bowl of parsley garlic bread. But green beans, steamed of fried cauliflower or an easy Caesar salad will go also great.
What herbs go with French Onion Beef Casserole?
French onion beef casserole perfectly combines the touches of all ingredients used in it and creates its own, quite unique flavor. We didn’t add any herbs to our casserole, except chopped parsley just before serving.
But if you want you may add a teaspoon of fresh rosemary, or fresh thyme leaves, or even dried oregano or basil while cooking the beef.
☞ Can I reheat French Onion Beef Casserole?
Enjoy the leftovers too! If you have any, they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This casserole reheats really well.
To reheat French onion casserole quickly, use your microwave. If you have a little more time to spend, reheat it in the oven. Fried onions may become soggy as it sits in the fridge.
To return the crispiness back, simply place the casserole under the broiler for several minutes. Watch carefully! If the heat is too high or you broil for too long the onions will burn.
Baking Tips For French Onion Casserole
You can use canned mushroom cream soup or prepare a homemade one if you want to make the dish healthier. It takes a little bit more time, but definitely worth it.
If you don’t have french fried onions on hand, you may add chopped onion to the ground beef mixture while cooking and brown it together with the beef.
To receive a more creamy dish, add ¼ cup of whole milk or half & half to the frying pan together with the cream of mushroom soup and French onion dip.
Adding some shredded cheese may be also a great idea. Top casserole with shredded cheese before you add French fried onions
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Amish Broccoli Salad
Taco Chicken Salad
Classic Chicken Salad
How To Make The Best Red Potato Salad
Broccoli Cheese Soup ( Better Than Panera )
French Onion Casserole
- 10 oz spiral egg noodles
- 1 lb ground beef
- 10 oz cream of mushroom soup
- 1 jar French onion dip
- 1 cup French fried onions
- 2 tsp oil or butter for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease your 9x13-inch baking dish with oil or butter. Cook spiral egg noodles according to the instructions on the package and drain
- Cook ground beef in a frying pan over medium heat. Crumble the meat while cooking. Fry ground beef for 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add cream of mushroom soup to the pan as well as French onion dip and stir well. Then, add drained spiral egg noodles to the mixture and fold gently to combine.
- Transfer this mixture to the greased baking dish and sprinkle French fried onions over the top. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm sprinkled with some chopped parsley, with steamed or grilled vegetables as a side (optional).
- If you are allergic to mushrooms or don’t want to use mushroom cream soup for some other reasons, you may use chicken cream soup or celery cream instead. Both of them would work fine.
- Feel free to add some vegetables to the French onion casserole. Steamed peas, carrots, corn, green beans, or chopped asparagus would be a great choice.
- If you are a fan of mushrooms, you may add a cup of sliced mushrooms while cooking the beef.
4. You can try to use ground turkey or any kind of cooked shredded meat to cook French onion casserole.
Leave a Reply