Did you know that potatoes are recognized as practically the only product that does not bother?
You think that potatoes are so simple, cooked and eaten, right? There it was! From potatoes, you know how many dishes you can cook! You can fry, stew, mashed it, make small and large pies with it, sculpt dumplings and potato crispy balls. And do not forget about the potato pancakes, roll, and casserole.
In short, if you need to feed a large family, you should be able to cook quickly and a lot of food from improvised means. Let’s try making a potato salad. But take potatoes not ordinary white, but red, for a change.
It is also ideal because it does not need to waste time cleaning it, the skin is thin and does not create any problems. This potato is slightly sweet and very tender. Add crispy pickles, hard-boiled eggs and red onions for color. And for more piquancy, we’ll make a dressing by adding a little mustard to the mayonnaise.
Be careful with mustard, if it is very spicy, add gradually according to your taste. That’s all! A quick and very satisfying salad is ready. By the way, it is great for lunch at work.
Preparation tip & trick:
- Mayonnaise can be replaced with unsweetened yogurt, then your salad will become more healthy and less high-calorie.
FAQ ABOUT Red Potato Salad:
What potato makes the best potato salad?
You can use any kind of potato for making a salad. But believe me, red potatoes are especially beautiful. It has a slightly sweet taste and a more delicate texture. In addition, it can be used freely with the peel, as it is thin and delicate, which gives a special accent to the salad.
How far in advance can you make potato salad?
If you want to make a salad in advance, shave the whole potato without cutting it. In the peel, it can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 days. It is better not to joke with eggs and cook on the day of preparation. Ready salad dressing can be stored in the refrigerator for no more than three days.
Why does my potato salad get watery?
Most likely you added too much salt. Salt has the ability to draw all moisture out of foods and over time salads become watery. Cook the potatoes in pre-salted water and drain the water well when it is ready. Mayonnaise also has salt. Try to season the salad with salt and mayonnaise just before serving.
What goes with potato salad?
The potato itself is a very satisfying product, so you can freely use this salad as a solo dish as a lunch. It can also be served with any meat dish as a side dish.
How to Make Red Potato Salad
- 17-18 red potatoes, skins left on
- 2 + cups mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs yellow mustard
- 4 large dill pickles, sliced and cubed into small pieces
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Optional green onions, sliced for garnish
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and boil it. Cut into slices without removing the peel.
- In another pan, boil hard-boiled eggs and cut into half rings.
- Cut the cucumbers into small cubes.
- Chop red onion.
- Make the sauce. Combine mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, season with sauce and mix. Put in a salad bowl and sprinkle with chopped green onions.
- Salt well the water in which you cook the potatoes, it will be more dense, which is well suited for slicing into a salad.
- Potatoes can be cut first and then cooked, then it will be ready even faster.