Your son tells you his football buddies will stay for dinner, your daughter’s friends are over or your husband’s friends from work are watching a game and you need something that will feed a crowd and make them happy.
This is the recipe for you! A no-fuss, big meal packed full of flavor that you can whip up in no time and with minimal effort, that can satisfy even a bunch of hungry teenaged boys. This meal has everything.
Meat, sausage, and veggies in a spicy mouth-watering sauce. The best part of, you only need to raid your pantry and freezer to make it.
HOW TO MAKE COWBOY STEW FROM SCRATCH
- Step 1. In a dutch oven over medium heat, sauteé onion. Add ground beef and cook until there’s no pink left
- Step 2. Add sliced sausage
- Step 3. Pour in tomatoes, pinto beans, corn, potatoes, diced tomatoes with chiles and veggies
- Step 4. Mix everything until well combined, add spices
- Step 5. Add water, bring to a boil, and simmer for one hour.
WHAT CAN I ADD TO COWBOY STEW FOR FLAVOR?
In this recipe, spices make all the difference. Don’t hesitate to add more spices if you want a bit more kick. A pinch of cinnamon, a dash of paprika as well as cumin and chili powder can render a very delicious stew.
I usually add chopped jalapenos to make it a bit spicier. Sometimes I even add cheese on top, throw it in the oven, and broil it until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH COWBOY STEW?
To add a bit of freshness to this dish, I generally serve it with a simple mixed greens salad or coleslaw and a big slice of sourdough bread.
PRO TIPS FOR COWBOY STEW
- This recipe is so easy, you really don’t have to be a pro to make it. But if you want to make it even more special,
- Place cooked stew on a casserole dish, put cheese on top, and bake until bubbly
- After cooking the ground beef and adding the kielbasa, cook it for a couple more minutes and drain the excess fat from the meat and the sausage.
- Add chopped jalapenos for an added kick, If you want to make it a bit less “soupy” add one cup less water and cook until desired consistency.
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- CRACK CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- TOMATO HAMBURGER VEGETABLE SOUP
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SOUP
- CHEESY CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- COMFORTING HAM AND POTATO SOUP
- POTATO KIELBASA SOUP
Texas Cowboy Stew
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2 packages kielbasa sausage sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (14.5oz) cans peeled and diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 (15oz) cans pinto beans, with liquid
- 2 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes with green chile pepper, with liquid
- 1 (10oz) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, sauteé onion. Add ground beef and cook until there’s no pink left
- Add sliced sausage
- Pour in tomatoes, pinto beans, corn, potatoes, diced tomatoes with chiles and veggies
- Mix everything until well combined, add spices
- Add water, bring to a boil, and simmer for one hour