Just imagine waking up in the morning to the smell of cinnamon bread baking in the oven. This is what you can give your family this weekend. On these cold mornings, nothing spells comfort as this freshly baked French Toast Bake.
If you like cinnamon rolls, you will love this casserole. It is super easy to make, has just a few ingredients, and you can make it in advance, prepare it and leave it in the fridge overnight, and just bake the next morning.
Your family will love you for it! The crunchy cinnamon sugar topping and the soft pudding-like bottom make for a super yummy bite that just melts in your mouth!
HOW DO YOU MAKE FRENCH TOAST BAKE FROM SCRATCH
Follow the recipe below, and make sure to read through the frequently asked questions and pro tips to bake the Best French Toast Bake.
- Step 1. Cut a loaf of sourdough bread into cubes.
- Step 2. In a bowl mix eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Step 3. Place bread cubes in a greased 9×13 inch buttered casserole dish and pour egg mixture evenly over them. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Step 4. In a small bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Store in an airtight container or a ziplock bag and also refrigerate overnight.
- Step 5. preheat oven to 350F.
- Step 6. Take the baking dish out of the fridge and evenly sprinkle topping over the bread mixture.
- Step 7. Bake for 45 mins or until the top is slightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
WHY IS MY FRENCH TOAST BAKE SOGGY
You need to make sure your french toast bake is completely done before taking it out of the oven.
To make sure, insert a toothpick in the middle and it should come out clean. Also, do not buy sliced bread, or your cubes will come out too small and absorb too much liquid.
Refrigerating overnight is also a crucial step to ensure the bread has soaked up all the liquid and it doesn’t seep to the sides of the casserole.
WHAT IS THE BEST BREAD FOR FRENCH TOAST BAKE
Sourdough is the best bread for french toast bake. You can also use Brioche, Challah, or French bread. Buy a whole loaf and cut it up yourself to ensure even sized cubes which results in even baking.
Do not buy the already sliced sourdough bread or your cubes will be too little and your casserole will come out soggy.
CAN YOU MAKE FRENCH TOAST BAKE WITH ALMOND MILK?
Yes, you can use whatever kind of milk you want. You can substitute the heavy cream with coconut yogurt.
CAN YOU FREEZE FRENCH TOAST BAKE
Yes, you can! Place your bread cubes, pour the egg/milk mixture on top, and put the topping evenly over the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
The night before baking it, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it after baking it. In this case, let it cool before freezing and heat it up in the oven for 20 mins before serving.
TIPS FOR BAKING THE PERFECT FRENCH TOAST BAKE
- Don’t buy sliced bread. Cut your own cubes and try to make them all the same size
- Don’t skip the overnight refrigeration, this ensures your french toast bake will not come out soggy.
- Keep your butter very cold and do not overwork it, this ensures you get a very crunchy topping.
- Make sure your french toast bake is well done before taking it out of the oven. Insert a toothpick until it comes out clean.
- You can add fruits to the bread cubes for a different taste!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- HOMEMADE FRESH PEACH CRISP RECIPE
- CARAMEL APPLE PECAN COBBLER
- HOMEMADE CHEESE DANISH
- 3 INGREDIENT RAVIOLI BAKE (A.K.A. LAZY LASAGNA)
- 1 loaf sourdough bread,
- 8 eggs,
- 2 cups of milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
For the topping:
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter cut into small pieces
- Cut a loaf of sourdough bread into cubes.
- In a bowl mix eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, and salt. Whisk until well combined
- Place bread cubes in a greased 9x13 inch buttered casserole dish and pour egg mixture evenly over them. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Store in an airtight container or a ziplock bag and also refrigerate overnight.
- preheat oven to 350F
- Take the baking dish out of the fridge and evenly sprinkle topping over bread mixture.
- Bake for 45 mins or until the top is slightly brown and the toothpick comes out clean.