If you need a fast, satisfying, delicious, and great-looking soup for dinner, this is it. This cajun shrimp soup recipe is so easy to put together, you will have it on the table in no time. Using tomato-vegetable juice and clamato as the base is so simple and yet adds so much flavor to the broth, you won’t believe it.
It is a complete meal in itself, as it contains shrimp and rice. You can adjust the recipe to your taste by adding the veggies of your choice.
I like adding corn and green bell pepper which gives a bite and some color as well.
Cajun soups with shrimp are so versatile and you can make them as spicy as you like by adding hot sauce and chili flakes. This recipe is just fantastic.
HOW TO MAKE CAJUN SHRIMP SOUP FROM SCRATCH?
Follow the recipe below, and make sure to read through the frequently asked questions and pro tips to bake the Best Cajun Shrimp Soup Recipe.
- Step 1. In a large pot, melt butter and saute bell pepper, green onions, and garlic until translucent
- Step 2. Add the tomato-vegetable juice, clam juice, water, corn, and rice
- Step 3. Next, add your spices
- Step 4. Bay leaf goes in next
- Step 5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is cooked through
- Step 6. Once the rice is cooked, add the shrimp and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Step 7. Remove bay leaf, stir in hot sauce to taste, and serve.
CAN YOU FREEZE CAJUN SHRIMP SOUP?
You can definitely freeze this soup. Just let it cool completely before freezing.
When ready to serve, reheat but don’t boil it for too long or the shrimp will overcook and taste grainy.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CAJUN SHRIMP SOUP?
Honestly, all I add to this soup is a piece of great bread. It is definitely a complete meal all in itself, but if you want to add something, a tossed green salad should be enough.
- Freezing: Pour cooled soup into a gallon-sized freezer bag and freeze for up to a month
- Refrigerating: Store in an airtight container and refrigerate the soup for up to 3 days.
- If I want to up the game, I add chunks of fish and clams to the soup. It gives it more texture and flavor. You can add the seafood of your choice
- Adding more veggies is a good idea too. Play with it and add all your favorite veggies
- If you feel the need to add more flavor, add a couple of chicken bouillon cubes to the base
- I like to serve it with cilantro and avocado sometimes too. This way you can make it more than once, and it will be a completely different experience.
- Don’t overcook the shrimp. It takes only 5 minutes or less to cook them. Overcooked shrimp become grainy and unappealing.
- If you plan on adding clams, you can use canned clams and add the juice too!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
- COMFORTING HAM AND POTATO SOUP
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP WITH ORZO
- AUTHENTIC CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- ROASTED TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- POTATO KIELBASA SOUP
- BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
CAJUN SHRIMP SOUP RECIPE
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
- 1 (8oz) bottle clam juice
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- ½ cup whole kernel corn
- ¾ lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot sauce to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter and saute bell pepper, green onions, and garlic until translucent
- Add the tomato-vegetable juice, clam juice, water, corn, and rice
- Next, add your spices
- Bay leaf goes in next
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is cooked through
- Once the rice is cooked, add the shrimp and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, stir in hot sauce to taste, and serve.
Betsy J Mora
It was perfect and I like to add and/or subtract items to our taste.
We are in winter and have snow on the ground and it warms you up
We live in Mexico so I like to add cilantro to top it off when I serve it
Ashley - 100krecipes
That’s so nice to hear!! I love them too… I need to make them again!