For some reason, there is a certain stereotype that spicy cake you can prepare in the fall. Yes, it is spicy, fragrant, and very cozy. But the time of year should not affect the desire to cook something special. Any evening, in any company, such a cake will certainly be appreciated and asked for supplements! The soft and juicy cake you can prepare in several variations.
- One big cake in big shape.
- Divide the dough into 2 identical small shapes and bake two cakes. Grease the cakes with icing and get two layers.
- Distribute the dough into cupcake tins and get a lot of portioned cakes for a large company.
Where does spice cake come from?
History suggests that the progenitor of a modern spicy cake appeared in ancient times. It was made from grain, spices, and honey. After ancient times, the spicy cake reached its peak in the 16th century. When oriental spices began to be exported to other countries. Since then, the cake composition has changed slightly. But the trinity of spices remains the same. These are ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
How do you make a spice cake from scratch?
- Combine all dry ingredients in a single bowl.
- In another bowl, combine all the liquid ingredients.
- Then pour the dry mixture into a moist, possible in portions.
- Mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Then add the grated apple, mix everything again, and pour the dough into the cake pan.
- Bake until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.
How do you make a boxed spice cake better?
To improve the taste, you can go for some tricks. First, add one more egg for a richer flavor. Secondly, use melted butter instead of oil. Well, replace the water with milk. By the way, I always add a little more fresh spices.
– What is the difference between a spice cake and carrot cake?
These two cakes are identical in cooking. Replace apple puree with carrot puree. And replace the grated apple with the grated carrots.
– What can I add to a spice cake mix?
You can easily add an extra egg. You can replace water with whole milk, and oil with melted butter. From spices to such a cake, pumpkin spice is perfect.
– What kind of frosting goes on spice cake?
This is the key point of your spice cake. Use different icing and get different cakes every time. Here are a few options:
- Brown Butter Frosting
- Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- Maple Frosting
- Caramel Frosting
Instructions step by step
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Oil the 9 * 13-inch cake pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and all spices into a bowl. Mix.
- In a large and deep bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, applesauce, eggs, vanilla extract, and molasses (optional).
- Pour dry ingredients to liquid and whisk until mixed. The flour mixture can be added portionwise.
- Peel the apple, grate and add to the dough.
- Pour a homogeneous dough into the prepared cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. The readiness of the cake you can check by a toothpick inserted in the center. If the toothpick comes out clean and dry, the cake is ready. If the top of the cake is quickly browned, but inside it is not ready yet, cover it with foil.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for about an hour.
- Cooking the icing. Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter at high speed until a homogeneous creamy mass.
- Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt. Whisk for 30 seconds at low speed, then increase and beat for another 2 minutes. For a thicker glaze, you can add another 1/4 cup of confectioners’ sugar.
- Spread the icing over the finished cake and cool in the refrigerator for at least half an hour. This will help establish the icing and make it easier to cut the cake.
BAKING TIPS FOR Spice Cake :
- If you do not have a plan for a cake of this size, use two small ones. As a result, you get 2 cakes or one two-layer. My cake pan crashed on the day of baking. So, I used one small cake pan, and the rest of the dough I distributed on the forms for cupcakes.
- The cake can be frozen. After it cools down after baking, wrap it in foil and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Cake You’ll Love
How to make a spice cake from scratch
- 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 cup canola (240ml) or vegetable oil
- 1 and 3/4 cup (350g) packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (180g) unsweetened applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded apple (or shreddedcarrot/zucchini)
- optional: 1 Tablespoon molasses
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces (224g) full-fat block cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups (360g) confectioners’ sugar, plus an extra 1/4 cup if needed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven and prepare a cake pan.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Mix all the liquid ingredients.
- Combine the dry mixture with the wet one and beat with a whisk until smooth.
- Add the grated apple to the dough and knead.
- Pour the dough into a cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the icing. Beat cream cheese and butter. Then add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Spread the icing on top of the cake and cool in the refrigerator.
- Unsweetened applesauce you can cook yourself. Dice 2-3 peeled apples, put in a saucepan, and pour 1/2 cup of water. Stew until soft, then beat with a blender. Add a pinch of salt and ground cinnamon as desired.
- If the cake in the oven browned too quickly and has not yet been baked inside, cover it with a sheet of foil.