This homemade cheese bread recipe with green olives tastes amazing. I have tried a lot, but this easy cheese bread recipe is by far the easiest and quickest.
This is a no-yeast bread, it is leavened with baking powder and eggs, making it really soft and flaky.
The addition of olives, green onions, and a few spices like oregano, paprika, and garlic powder make it even more fragrant. Slather it with butter and you have a perfectly delicious treat that will satisfy all your cravings.
Cheese bread is a great addition to any meal. I love to bake it for Thanksgiving. Take a look at our How to Cook the perfect turkey in the Oven recipe, Mashed Potatoes Recipe, and Cranberry Salad to make your Thanksgiving meal complete.
INGREDIENTS IN CHEESE BREAD
- All-purpose flour: I do not recommend using bread flour for this recipe because we are not using yeast. All-purpose flour is easier to leaven using baking powder.
- Baking powder: since this is a no-yeast bread, baking powder is needed to leaven it.
- Salt: since we are using olives, which are salty, I added only ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Spices: I love savory bread, so I used paprika which gives it a bit of smokiness, and oregano, and garlic powder to give it an Italian touch, but you can definitely use your favorite spices.
- Cold butter: I strongly recommend using cold butter instead of room temperature or melted butter.
- Cheddar cheese: whenever a recipe calls for shredded cheese, I recommend shredding it yourself.
- Green onions: they not only provide amazing flavor, but they give it such beautiful green specks.
- Eggs: since we are not using yeast, we need eggs to make the bread fluffy and light.
- Milk: using milk instead of water makes the bread softer. I recommend using whole milk.
- Sugar: it is always a good idea to balance the salt in a recipe with sugar. Just a tablespoon of sugar will make the bread taste balanced and delicious.
- Olives: just because they are delicious! I like using pimento-stuffed because I love the red and green colors in the bread.
STEPS IN MAKING QUICK OLIVE CHEESE BREAD:
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Grease a loaf pan (8 ½ x 4 inches). In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, paprika, oregano, and garlic powder
- Add the diced cold butter and mix in using a fork until the mixture resembles sand or breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the cheese and green onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and sugar and add it to the bowl with the flour mixture. Gently mix everything together until all the flour is moistened, but do not overmix.
- Fold in the sliced olives
- Pour batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 50 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
WHAT DO YOU EAT WITH CHEESE BREAD?
Anything really! It is the perfect addition to any meal. My family loves it with cheesy Amish breakfast casserole as an addition to our Sunday breakfast. For lunch, a slice of cheese bread would compliment Instant Pot chicken noodle soup, and Crockpot chicken thighs perfectly! Smothered cheesy sour cream chicken and Homemade chicken Parmesan, or anything that has sauce in it is perfect with cheese bread because you can use it to sop up all the delicious sauce! Check out our recipes, you will have lots to choose from!
HOW DO YOU STORE CHEESE BREAD?
I like to wrap it in aluminum foil before putting it into a plastic bag and into the fridge or freezer. This keeps the bread moist.
Do not store it in the fridge as is or it will become rock hard.
Using foil and plastic also prevents the bread from getting freezer burns in the freezer.
More Bread Recipes You’ll Love
- LEMON BLUEBERRY BREAD
- EASY YOGURT BREAD
- PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
- DUTCH APPLE BREAD RECIPE
Homemade Cheese Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup butter cut into small dice
- 1 ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a loaf pan
- In a medium-sized bowl, using a whisk, mix the dry ingredients thoroughly
- Using a fork, press the butter dice against the bowl and mix them with the flour until the mixture resembles sand or breadcrumbs to ensure it is well distributed.
- Mix in the cheese and green onions using a wooden spoon or spatula
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and sugar until well combined. Add the liquids to the flour/cheese mixture and mix just until all ingredients are moist but not overmixed.
- Fold in the olives gently
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until you stick in a toothpick and it comes out clean. The bread should be slightly brown on top.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
What is the best cheese for bread?
Sharp cheeses are the best because their flavor really comes through. Sharp cheddar, Parmesan, Gruyere, or any strong-flavored cheese is the best for this recipe. The flavor of mild cheeses will not come through on a baked product.
Can You Freeze Cheese Bread?
Yes, you can. Let it cool off completely before covering it with aluminum foil and putting it inside a freezer bag. If you don’t let it cool completely, it will become soggy and the water produced by the vapor will freeze. When you thaw it, it will be soggy and wet. So let it cool before freezing for up to three months.