This homemade cheese bread recipe is quick, easy, and delicious. I have added green olives to make it savory and amazing. I have tried a lot, but this easy cheese bread recipe is by far the easiest and quickest. No yeast is needed.
This is not yeast bread, it is leavened with baking powder and eggs, making it really soft and flaky.
The addition of olives, green onions, and a few spices like oregano, paprika, and garlic powder make it even more fragrant. Slather it with butter and you have a perfectly delicious treat that will satisfy all your cravings.
Cheese bread is a great addition to any meal. I love to bake it for Thanksgiving. Take a look at our How to cook the perfect turkey in the oven recipe.
INGREDIENTS IN CHEESE BREAD
- All-purpose flour: I do not recommend using bread flour for this recipe because we are not using yeast. All-purpose flour is easier to leaven using baking powder.
- Baking powder: this is a quick bread recipe, so baking powder is used to produce a soft, flaky bread that has a more cake-like consistency than a bread made using yeast.
- Salt: since we are using olives, which are salty, I added only ½ teaspoon of salt. I think this is enough.
- Spices: I love savory bread, so I used paprika which gives it a bit of smokiness, oregano, and garlic powder to give it a sort of Italian touch to the bread, but you can definitely use your favorite spices.
- Cold butter: I strongly recommend using cold butter instead of room temperature or melted butter.
- Cheddar cheese: whenever a recipe calls for shredded cheese, I recommend shredding it yourself. Pre shredded cheese has added ingredients to prevent it from sticking and melting together, like flour or anti-caking agents.
- Green onions: they not only provide amazing flavor, but they give it such beautiful green specks.
- Eggs: since we are not using yeast, we need eggs to make the bread fluffy and light too. They not only provide this but give the batter density and body.
- Milk: using milk instead of water makes the bread softer. I recommend using whole milk because the fat in whole milk makes it richer in taste and it makes the bread brown better because lactose caramelizes as it bakes.
- Sugar: it is always a good idea to balance the salt in a recipe with sugar. Just a tablespoon of sugar will make the bread taste balanced and delicious.
- Olives: just because they are delicious! I like using pimento-stuffed because I love the red and green colors in the bread.
STEPS IN MAKING QUICK OLIVE CHEESE BREAD:
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Grease a loaf pan (8 ½ x 4 inches). In a medium-size bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, paprika, oregano, and garlic powder
- Add the diced cold butter and mix in using a fork until the mixture resembles sand or breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the cheese and green onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and sugar and add it to the bowl with the flour mixture. Gently mix everything together until all the flour is moistened, but do not overmix.
- Fold in the sliced olives
- Pour batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 50 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
WHAT DO YOU EAT WITH CHEESE BREAD?
Anything really! It is the perfect addition to any meal. My family loves it with cheesy Amish breakfast casserole, Instant Pot chicken noodle soup, Crockpot chicken thighs, Smothered cheesy sour cream chicken, Homemade chicken Parmesan, The ultimate slow cooker beef stew, Italian stuffed shells, or anything that has sauce in it. Check out our recipes, you will have lots to choose from!
HOW DO YOU STORE CHEESE BREAD?
I like to wrap it in aluminum foil before putting it into a plastic bag and into the fridge or freezer. This keeps the bread moist.
Do not store it in the fridge as is or it will become rock hard.
Using foil and plastic also prevents the bread from getting freezer burns in the freezer.
More Bread Recipes You’ll Love
- LEMON BLUEBERRY BREAD
- EASY YOGURT BREAD
- PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
- DUTCH APPLE BREAD RECIPE
Homemade Cheese Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup butter cut into small dice
- 1 ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- Whenever you are baking something, the first thing you have to do is preheat the oven. It has to be ready and hot when you finish with all the preparation steps. Also, have your pan greased and ready for the batter.
- In a medium-sized bowl, using a whisk, mix the dry ingredients. This step ensures the even distribution of salt, spices, and baking powder for a homogenous product.
- Adding the butter is a crucial step. It has to be cold if you want a flaky textured quick bread. When cold butter melts inside the batter in the oven, it produces vapor and that makes tiny air pockets that make it fluffy and flaky. Cut it in small dice and use a fork or two knives to “cut” it into the flour. If you are using a fork, press the butter dice against the bowl and mix it with the flour until it resembles sand or breadcrumbs to ensure it is well distributed in the mixture.
- The mixture is now ready for the addition of the shredded cheese and green onions. I always recommend shredding your own cheese. As I said, pre-shredded cheese has a lot of fillers you don’t need or want in your bread. Just mix in the cheese and green onions using a wooden spoon or spatula
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and sugar together until well blended. All liquid ingredients have to be well mixed also, to accomplish a homogenous bread. Add the liquids to the flour/cheese mixture and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula just until all ingredients are moist but not overmixed. You want an airy flaky bread. If you overmix, the bread will come out dense and hard. You will destroy all the air bubbles you need for soft bread.
- Add the olives and just fold them in gently. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until you stick in a toothpick and it comes out clean. The bread should be slightly brown on top.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- What is the best cheese for bread?
Sharp cheeses are the best because their flavor really comes through.
Sharp cheddar, Parmesan, Gruyere, or any strong-flavored cheese are the best for this recipe. The flavor of mild cheeses will not come through on a baked product.
- Can You Freeze Cheese Bread?
Yes, you can. Let it cool off completely before covering it with aluminum foil and putting it inside a freezer bag.
If you don’t let it cool completely, it will become soggy and the water produced by the vapor will freeze.
When you thaw it, it will be soggy and wet. So let it cool before freezing for up to three months.